Fordson Super Major Serial Number

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Werries
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Super Major Serial Number

Post by Werries »

I have done some searches but cannot find my serial number or something that resembles a serial number. Please look at stamps that I got on the tractor and advise. Tx Werries

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Fordson Super Major Serial Number

Post by Puffie40 »

The serial number is located on a machined surface just above the manifold at the number 1 cylinder. It's stamped in, so you may need a scraper or some sandpaper to see it.

The numbers you have photographed are casting marks. The first picture does sort of look like a date giving an approximate year of 1966.

Werries
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Werries »

Thank you Puffie40. I will go and have a look.

Regards
Werries

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Werries

The casting code L28F on your transmission housing indicates it was cast on 28 September 1961. The tractor was probably assembled in the following month. To see whether the tractor is an original, or a "bitsa" look for this code on other major assemblies, such as the engine block, rear axle, hydraulic assembly and sometimes on the front axle. If they are all around the same date then your tractor is probably original, although in over 50 years, large parts could have been replaced from donor tractors. Your engine/serial number should be somewhere around 1619000 if it was a pneumatic governed fuel injection pump. If it has the later Simms Minimec fuel injection pump, it will be something like 08A-300001-M.

Tim E

Werries
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Werries »

Dear Timeee,

Thank you thats is valuable infom. The dates seem to be corresponding to what the farmer told me that his Dad purchased the tractor new in SA mid 62 to early 63. I have unfortunately not been out to look for the number as per Puffie's post. It has got the Simms Minimec so It will be interesting to see what the number is. Regards Werries

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

Werries, I realized I goofed up in my description of the location of the serial number.

The serial number is on a machined flat surface, at the front of the engine, on the right hand side, above the injection pump.

Sorry about that.

Werries
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Werries »

No prob, I haven't been to look at it yet. Thanks for that.

Regards
Werries

Werries
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Werries »

Ok, found it. Don't know if this is original as it is not as Tmee said? Looks like S571650

Werries
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Werries »

As Timeee said, it could be a "bitsa". If I look at the sticky about industrial serial numbers, it looks like an Oct 66 engine!