Advice for replacing a water pump on a Fordson Super Majo

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hobo13
Not Quite Blue Yet

Advice for replacing a water pump on a Fordson Super Majo

Post by hobo13 »

Hi.

I recently bought a Fordson Super Major tractor with a Sherman loader and backhoe. Ran it about 5 times and the water pump failed. Well, I'm pretty sure it's the water pump anyway.

1. The fan isn't turning
2. Coolant was leaking out from around the front of the engine. I collected some, and it's green coolant.
3. Some smoke / steam appeared

I shut it down pretty quickly, so hopefully it'l be ok. I checked the oil, still looks nice and black.

So I'm looking for advice and suggestions on changing the pump. My plan is to start it up long enough to raise the loader up out of the way so I can get better access. (And block it so it doesn't sag.)

Then I'm trying to decide if I need to remove the radiator. Seems like some people say that the fan will slide out if you are careful. Others say it's best to just take the radiator and front metal shield off. I watched a youTube video of changing the pump on a Ford 600 or 700 or Jubliee, and she didn't take the radiator off. Not quite the same, but maybe close?

Anyway, happy to hear your comments and advice. I was hoping to own it for more than a month before tackling my first repair, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Thanks!

hobo13
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Advice for replacing a water pump on a Fordson Super Maj

Post by hobo13 »

Well, I decided to take off the grill and hood. 6 bolts for the grill. 4 for the hood. Next up, will be removing the radiator.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is a specific water pump that I need to get. Here's the numbers I've found on the tractor:

E1ADKN-3920 (guessing at the last 4 numbers)
J15X

Photos can be seen here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bsPRQ5ijhdbifpMx8

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Topic moved to the right subforum
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

For the fan not turning, Check if you have a fan belt and that it's stretched across the fan pulley.

With the front nose off, a close inspection of the pump might give you an idea where the liquid is coming from. The water pump should have a "weep hole" in the housing, and if coolant is coming from there, the seals are gone.

hobo13
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hobo13 »

Puffie40 wrote:For the fan not turning, Check if you have a fan belt and that it's stretched across the fan pulley.

With the front nose off, a close inspection of the pump might give you an idea where the liquid is coming from. The water pump should have a "weep hole" in the housing, and if coolant is coming from there, the seals are gone.
Yep, I have a fan belt! And it's tight.

My thinking was that the pump has failed, given that the fan wasn't turning and it seemed like the engine wanted to overheat.

I should have the nose off soon and maybe I'll be able to tell from inspecting the pump what happened.

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

I wonder if the bolts holding the pulley and fan on have fallen out. Those bolts also drive the water pump.

If they have fallen out you might be looking at some radiator damage from the loose parts.

hobo13
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hobo13 »

I got the pump off. It's partially seized up. I can turn it, but barely. The impellers on the pump actually seem to rub against the housing of the pump.

Now for the issue -- It seems that water pumps for Super Majors with power steering are not readily available.

This thread seems to indicate that someone had success putting their hub on a non-powersteering water pump, and it worked. Link http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... n&th=19979

Also, I'm not terribly familiar with water pumps. But from what I've read, it seems you have to press the shaft out to put the hub and pulley on? I wasn't sure if that's true of all the repalcement pumps, or just the ones where you need to replace the pulley?

Here is my pump:

Here's the replacement pump that I bought.

And this thread seems to show the pump I actually need.
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... ley#p43033

Any better ideas?

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

hobo13 wrote:I got the pump off. It's partially seized up. I can turn it, but barely. The impellers on the pump actually seem to rub against the housing of the pump.

Now for the issue -- It seems that water pumps for Super Majors with power steering are not readily available.

This thread seems to indicate that someone had success putting their hub on a non-powersteering water pump, and it worked. Link http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... n&th=19979

Also, I'm not terribly familiar with water pumps. But from what I've read, it seems you have to press the shaft out to put the hub and pulley on? I wasn't sure if that's true of all the repalcement pumps, or just the ones where you need to replace the pulley?

Here is my pump:

Here's the replacement pump that I bought.

And this thread seems to show the pump I actually need.
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... ley#p43033

Any better ideas?
Sounds like one of the impeller shaft bearings let go. It might be possible to get it rebuilt, but will likely involve a machine shop if you need a new shaft or the bearing seats turned.

The pump you ordered uses a different pulley cone that slides over the front of the hub. I'm not sure if there is any difference between the two pumps unless you can do a side-by-side comparison.

hobo13
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hobo13 »

Yes, my thought was to do a side-by-side comparison of the pumps.

But I talked to my Dad tonight, a mostly retired machinist, and his thought was similar to yours regarding the failure of the bearing. Also, his buddy is a mechanic-type that has a Ford 5000 and says that their local equipment dealer (in farm country Ohio) can likely rebuild it. So I'm about to put it in a box and ship it off to him. Will see how it goes. Thanks.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Sorry for the late reply. There is a water pump rebuild kit available that includes new shaft and bearings. See link.
Best, Adrian.

https://www.silverfoxtractorspares.com/ ... 2562-p.asp

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Got your PM, you have a few choices, get a rebuild kit from agriline, silver fox, etc. And rebuild it yourself or have a shop do it for you, or you can buy a new/rebuilt pump and press the hubs off both and swap them. Be sure to measure the the distance from the end of the shaft to the hub on your old one so you get it in the same place during reasembly, if not the V belt may be misaligned with the crank and gen pullys.
After everything is reasembled and you have used it a bit, go back and check all the bolts in the loder frame to make sure they are tight, I have seen a lot of them loose and broken.

hobo13
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hobo13 »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Got your PM, you have a few choices, get a rebuild kit from agriline, silver fox, etc. And rebuild it yourself or have a shop do it for you, or you can buy a new/rebuilt pump and press the hubs off both and swap them. Be sure to measure the the distance from the end of the shaft to the hub on your old one so you get it in the same place during reasembly, if not the V belt may be misaligned with the crank and gen pullys.
After everything is reasembled and you have used it a bit, go back and check all the bolts in the loder frame to make sure they are tight, I have seen a lot of them loose and broken.
Thanks Pat!