Super Major Hi-Lo transmission won't shift.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major Hi-Lo transmission won't shift.

Post by tomgator »

I already started another thread asking this but I thought I could maybe get some more suggestions. 1964 Super Major. Two stage clutch. I'm not sure if I'm in lo or hi range, the lever only engages in the lower position. When I move it to the upper position, the lever moves about an inch or so but it does not go into a gear. It's like it's in neutral. I checked the shaft it is connected to and it does turn when the lever is raised. I can lower it and feel it going into gear, but not when raising it. I would sure like to have a 6 speed vs a 3. Thanks

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Super Major Hi-Lo transmission won't shift.

Post by Puffie40 »

The lever is held on to the shifting shaft by a wedge pin and a bolt beside the steering column. Take off the sheet metal cover surrounding the lever and see if that pin is tight.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

I did as you suggested, and the pin is tight on the shaft. The shaft moves with the lever, but does not engage the gear. Any other suggestions? I even tried striking the shaft with a hammer and punch to see it I could jar something loose but no luck.

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

The next step I would do is take the range shifter housing off and check the linkage and shifter forks. This involves removing the fuel tank and steering column, but you should be able to get a good look inside the transmission at everything the range lever connects to.

here's the Clutch and Transmission section of the Factory Service manual:
http://www.fordson.se/3_Demontering_kop ... 15-136.pdf

the range lever is referred to in this manual as the "Primary Gear Lever". Page 129 has a cross section of the transmission, Page 131 has the procedure to remove the shifter housing.

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

My high/low on the FPM was gummed up so wouldn't move for a start.

Someone had used Linseed oil (!!!!) in the gearbox and rear end, and it had gummed everything up.
Not likely your problem, but maybe worth asking if the Hi-Lo shift feels slow and stiff?

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

It depends how good your front axle is.. but I find High-reverse is a bit too fast to comfortably reverse a trailer without much slipping of the clutch. I mention the front axle because the kingpin bushes on my tractor are very worn, making steering heavy, especially in reverse; if the axle was better (or if power-steering was fitted) then fast reversing would be easier.

I mention this because I don't know how else we can tell whether the tractor is currently stuck in High or Low range.. if we knew that, then it might help with some kind of diagnosis?
Obviously, as we know it is a Live-drive tractor, the lever should be 'up' for High range and 'down' for Low.
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

I took off the shifter cover and steering column and the right side trans cover to try an figure it out. I can shift the Hi-Lo in both directions, but it doesn't seem to move enough to lock into gear when moving it to you up position. I tried prying on the shift dog, but no luck. It looks like the gear shaft should engage with a bevel gear, but I can't seem to get it to go far enough to enter the beveled gear center splines or if it is even supposed to. I hesitated to take it apart this far but it really wasn't that difficult.

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

Are you able to upload some photos?

That bevel gear is part of the flat-belt pulley attachment. There is a dog clutch in front of that gear (towards the engine clutch) that engages for high range. The dogs will move away from the bevel gear to engage high range.

What is the travel like on the shifter lever? Can it move to each end of the housing?

To get the range to engage you may need a friend to slowly turn the motor over while you push on the shifter linkage.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

First pic lever in up position, next one in down position.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Looks like the spline is unable to enter the socket in the spiral bevel gear and release the splined collar on the other end - either not enough movement from the lever, splines not lined up, or by the looks of it something burred over perhaps, not the worst one I've seen so may well be fixable with a bit of care.

some damage on the housing RH side too :(
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

I see the transmission oil has a lot of water in it-. You might be dealing with some rust somewhere. It might be worth draining that out and seeing what the low range clutch is doing.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

I got back to work on the SM this morning and decided to get a little more aggressive with the beast. I pried with a crowbar on the dog and it actually went into gear pretty easily. Now refilling with new oil and putting the covers back on. Thanks for the hints! I just hope it all works when back together.

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

Can you get it to repeat shifting back and forth?

If some rust was holding the gears back, it might make sense to jack the rear wheels up, overfill the transmission with varsol or diesel, then spin the wheels and shift through all the gears multiple times to wash the transmission. That should loosen up and shake the rust off.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

Well after dodging raindrops all afternoon, I got it all together. I left it in the upper position and tried it out. It went well till I decided to put it in the lower position. Now it's stuck there again. Tomorrow I'll try again. I can access the shifter dog through the side access plate, so it won't be as much work. While it was opened up I shifted it about 20 times (not running) just fine, maybe rust holding it just enough to make it difficult to move now. I already filled with new oil so I don't want to have to flush it, but I may go that route if I cant get it to go.

tomgator
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tomgator »

Took off the side plate to try to help the shifter with no luck. Note to self: never again start the engine with that side plate off! Totally soaked myself with oil in about 1 second! I guess I'll be proficient in taking off the shifter and steering box real soon.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Is there any oil coming out the side plate when no oil is drain from the gearbaox?
I have to remove the pully in a short time and I was wondering what to do to avoide what you experient today.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

henk wrote:Is there any oil coming out the side plate when no oil is drain from the gearbaox?
I have to remove the pully in a short time and I was wondering what to do to avoide what you experient today.
Henk, If I'm right you will have to lower the oil level a little bit. Normally the shaft and the bearings of the pulley needs lubricating. You can easily measure the distance between ground level and pulley on the right side and the distance between ground level and the filler plug on the left.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Tom,

2 things comes to my mind:

- did you try to move the gears themself by using a pry bar?

- if you take of the side plate on the left side, then you can check if the linkage is all connected.
it should be connected inside the eye rod on this picture

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

I can guess where the rod on that eyelet goes into the casting might be a good spot for rust to form and stick up. Try flushing that area with WD-40.

henk

Post by henk »

Mathias,
So lifting the Major on the pully side will also help.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

henk wrote:Mathias,
So lifting the Major on the pully side will also help.
Henk, that can also help, depends on how much it needs to be lifted. The easiest way is to drain the oil in my opinion.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

While we are in gearbox country, I can't find my 'shopping list' - does anyone have a handy spec. reference for UK sourcing the dreaded 'Niagara' seal through which gearbox oil cascades into the a%$e end ? I shall have to mail order one - the old girl is going to be trailered over here for some TLC, hopefully returning under her own steam.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes