Gearbox clatter at idle

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nick
True Blue

Gearbox clatter at idle

Post by Nick »

Does anyone elses tractor's gearbox clatter when idling? If I throttle the engine up and down slightly from idle there is a fairly loud clunking noise which sounds like its coming from the front of the gearbox, almost at the rear of the bellhousing. It has always done this, but I am worried there is a bearing or something inside that is worn or collapsed.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

shepp
True Blue

Re: Gearbox clatter at idle

Post by shepp »

Is your tractor fitted with a belt pulley? Sometimes when the drive gear and dog clutch and bushes are worn you will get a loud clatter from them on tickover or when changing engine speeds which sounds as it is from the front of the gearbox as you say. Try removing the pulley and fit a blanking plate and see how it is then.

If no belt pulley is fitted then it is likely to be a worn bearing but I would not panic, it has probably been like that for many years! A gearbox strip down and new bearings would be the only cure.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

I'm wondering if you have something loose in the clutch area. Take a prybar to the timing port window and see if the flywheel has any lateral movement.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Thank you for the replies!

There is no belt pulley fitted I am afraid, so there must be something a-miss inside somewhere.

The noise is definetly coming from the front of the bellhousing/gearbox, I did also wonder whether there is something up with the clutch or flywheel, but having said that the oil seal which goes on the top shaft into the backend is leaking so maybe something was starved of oil at some time.

I will post a video of it at the weekend and see what you think :beer:
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!