Possible to skip bleed screws 1 & 2?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
MNUSAMajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Possible to skip bleed screws 1 & 2?

Post by MNUSAMajor »

I can't get my fuel bleed screws # 1 & 2 on the the fuel filter loose to bleed my fuel line. Looks like the previous owner had problems and used a Vise-Grip or something like it as the heads of the bolts are damaged to the point that a socket won't fit anymore. I've tried soaking down with penetrating oil, but just can't get them to break free. Can I bleed successfully without getting these two loose? The bleed on the fuel injector works fine, and I can crack the fuel lines at the head as well no trouble.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Possible to skip bleed screws 1 & 2?

Post by oehrick »

You could try parking the tractor with its nose uphill (like on trailer skids) and bleed by cracking the filter output pipe union, may not shift all the air but enough not to cause a problem (unless you try climbing a steeper hill than you bled it on......................)

Do you have or know someone with a TIG or MIG welder ? if so, weld a nut onto each bleed screw through the hole then you are back to a hex for a spanner - might get away with a stick welder if you are a better welder than me :cry:

I've a Ford 3000 to change filter and bleed for a neighbour this week,not done one before so had to download the book of destructions, CAV system, no manual priming pump lever as far as I can see, all gravity - we can wish each other luck !
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

MNUSAMajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MNUSAMajor »

Thanks for the suggestions, will see what works!

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

You should be able to crack the inlet and outlet ports one at a time to get fuel up. Prefill fuel filter canister to save some pumping.