Removing the front crank pulley

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JonnyM
Not Quite Blue Yet

Removing the front crank pulley

Post by JonnyM »

Afternoon all.

Christmas job is to repair the leaking front crank seal on my old 64 super major. Just wondering if there’s a trick to get the pulley off the end of the crankshaft so I can take the timing cover off?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
True Blue

Re: Removing the front crank pulley

Post by Nick »

My 54 major's front crank pulley had come apart - the rivets had mostly let go, so I replaced them with hi-tensile nuts and bolts. You have to undo the crank nut by giving it a sharp tap or two with a drift. I managed to get the pulley off and back on again with removing the tombstone but it was very tight - not sure on a super major
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

One can remove and replace the pulley without removing the front, but getting a oilseal in the cover is very hard.
First time I have done it with removing the whole front end. This mean lift of the engine hood disconnecting the steering bar, the wiring to the front lights and removing the pin at the front axle and triangle and then the bolts on the driver side of the side bars. The whole front end can be pushed away from the tractor.
I made a support under the engine. Best to put the tractor on the handbrake and in gear. This way you have full access to the timing cover.
This is the way Brian told me and that he used in his working days on the Fordsons

The second time I removed only the radiator to renew the oil seal and it worked well.

Use beside a paper seal also silicon seal and thigh the bolts again after the engine is heated.

Look at https://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/ and see page 3 from repairs for some pictures.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Make up a puller if tight using power steering pulley bolt holes