58 Major Butler headlamp reflectors

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

58 Major Butler headlamp reflectors

Post by oehrick »

Hi all, have been sorting some electrical issues out, not least the drooping, lightless, Butler headlamps, does anyone know if the reflectors for these are available as a spare and if so, from where ? otherwise I shall have to have these re plated, some patchy rust but nothing deep yet the reflective layer has lifted from the steel reflector. If all else fails I shall try to line them with Ali foil as a temporary measure.

Horn now works for the first time in decades and I'm gradually working backwards to fitting a replacement regulator, (there may be screaming) what a cramped up job that is going to be and can't risk being too rough with the loom as the insulation is getting crispy in places..........................
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: 58 Major Butler headlamp reflectors

Post by mathias1 »

Rick,

maybe buying a new set is an option? https://histoparts.com/653116___butler- ... t/3?lang=2
If they are totally the same, you can swap the reflectors?

I got these for mine (but mine are old Hella headlights):
https://shop.delegro.nl/DEL-Onderdelen- ... 87vm24eu27
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Yes I wondered about that Mathias, was hoping someone had actually done this and could confirm what fits, surprising that such an item as the reflectors is not available as a repro, perhaps not a high percentage of Majors not used on the road. - glad it's not an E27N, prices for their headlights are ridiculous :cry:

I would rather keep the originals but prepared to swap the innards, also wondered about using LED bulbs for more light and lower current demand.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Ricky and Mathias.
Had the same problem with my FM a while ago. Fitted two second hand 4.25 inch sealed beam light units [high beam] originally from a Triumph 2500. [Took a bit of fettling though]. Then fitted a relay with the live supply a 25amp wire direct from the battery pos. terminal. Can now see much further than the front wheels!
Pavel

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Had thought of that Pavel, glad to know it is possible with available units with some 'whittling'.

Someone I asked is in restoration in other fields has made me aware of a chrome reflective aerosol spray (several brands available on ebay) so I've just ordered a can, it sounds very muck like the original as you can see through the peeled off bits which seem half silvered and burn. The back of the reflectors seem to have been sprayed with something similar but brown / bronze coloured, '58 seems a bit early for widespread use of such things

I will advise on effectiveness once I've had a chance to try it out but it may be a third option against replacement or plating.

So far the head leak repair is holding OK, I've the opportunity of some winter grain rolling in a week or two to give her a bit of collar work to bed things down again (my local farmer no longer has anything as small as CAT 2 tooling for TPL and the 3 rolls usually make his 3000 cough and warm up a bit.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

I had the same problem with my restoration The reflectors were shot but bulb holders and bulbs still ok.I dealt with it by cutting off the section containing the lugs that held the bulb holders on the originals and using araldite or similar adhesive to attach these to replacement reflectors.I had purchased a set of replacement headlamps but the quality was nowhere as good as the original shells and glass which both cleaned up nicely.