Several Super Major Questions

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
skateboss
True Blue

Several Super Major Questions

Post by skateboss »

Hello again,

Question 1:
If my Super Major is Blue / Orange with grill mounted lights, what colour are the grills supposed to be?

Question 2:
What is the best way to push the exhaust silencer into the elbow as it seems very tight and im not going to be able to push it in by hand.

Question 3:
Is it possible to get hold of the fittings for the end of the diesel lines as mine has one missing.

Question 4:
What grade oil goes in front and back end and how much do i need of each?

Many Thanks Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Question 1. Silver.

Question 2. Should be a loose fit. Perhaps you need to clean both the exhaust and the elbow with coarse emory paper.

Question 3. I would take the pipes to a diesel shop and get the ends put on properly as these are very high pressure fittings. Most diesel places can make up new fittings and swage on new nipples. The parts are still available.

Question 4. Any Multiuse oil, any 15/40W oil or any 20/50W oil. Use the basic stuff throughout your tractor, engine, transmission and rear axle. I would steer well away from synthetic oils. I used to use Castrol Multiuse in all mine but now it is much easier for me to get hold of Freedom Oils so I use their 15/40W in all my tractors. The price is pretty good too.

You are going to need around 15 gallons for gearbox and rear axle.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

Brian,

When you say "gearbox oil" is that the same as the engine oil? Filled through the rocker cover?

I bought her to restore so i havent put any in her yet.

Thanks Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Engine oilis filled through the valve cover, Gearbox is filled through the plug next to the clutch pedal linkage. Level is marked on the side of the filler. Rear axle is filled through the plug behind the seat and the level is on the dipstick near the gear lever. 15/40W or 20/50W can be used in all.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian