Key switch?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

Key switch?

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope all is well. I have not been on in a while and working on my key switch. It has not had the correct key in years and has been a problem. I had to pull the dash off yesterday have the assembly out. Do not know what each connection goes to, can not find a wiring diagram. The switch has five connections, three straight up and down in the middle and two off to each side. I have front and rear lights. My light is out on the dash also. Can anyone tell me what each connection goes to or which one should have power going out to start. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Key switch?

Post by oehrick »

There is a wiring diagram for both spark ignition and diesel in the operators handbook and repair manual, if you haven't got them you can download from the Swedish Fordson site
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks. I downloaded manual off of this site many years ago, will look at it again. I am really just wanting to know which two terminals I jump across to start until I get another switch. Thanks again.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Probably running a live wire with a croc clip from the battery to the switch on the pre engage lever on the starter motor would be the easiest 'get you home' method, can't think of an obvious safety reason why not but perhaps others would have a think to confirm or otherwise.

Mine has a solenoid with a manual button, handy for a quick start when you are without the key. my son was most impressed first time he saw dad 'hot wire' the tractor having left the key at home .
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

maybe this will help
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks everyone. As it was getting dark last night I did put a meter on the switch and found the power coming in. Based on diagram I should have a yellow wire coming off of switch that makes the connection to start. Good luck to all on your projects.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Sorry if this throws a spanner in the works; but may I suggest a word of caution. My diagram, right up to the Super Major, shows the following:
The wire that goes from the ign. switch and activates the starter solenoid on top of the starter motor is RED.
The main feed from the battery [via the regulator] to the ign. switch is Yellow with a red tracer.

In addition: If you find that your wiring circuits are good to go -- yet the starter will not activate -- try screwing the adjustable switch [on top of the st. motor] in a little.
Pavel

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Pavel wrote:Sorry if this throws a spanner in the works; but may I suggest a word of caution. My diagram, right up to the Super Major, shows the following:
The wire that goes from the ign. switch and activates the starter solenoid on top of the starter motor is RED.
The main feed from the battery [via the regulator] to the ign. switch is Yellow with a red tracer.

In addition: If you find that your wiring circuits are good to go -- yet the starter will not activate -- try screwing the adjustable switch [on top of the st. motor] in a little.
Pavel
Hi Pavel. hope you are well. I have power coming in at the yellow with a red tracer wire. I see the red one. My starter is turning good, cranks right up. My key switch has been bad but now that I have cleaned 60 years of dirt off it may work better. Thanks again

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

If your starter works, Gman, then the wiring circuits are in working order. Obviously then the problem is the 'ignition' keyed part of the switch.
I also noticed your stating that the red [?] charging light was blown. Without that the charging circuit will not work as it is part of the circuit that initiates the volts to complete its primary circuit which, in turn, permits the step-up secondary circuit to provide charge to the battery.

Pavel

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks. Made a little wire to clip to the switch connections, takes place of the key. Stars right up. I have another switch if cleaning this one up does not correct it. Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.