Pullstop head scratcher!! Worn part Problems

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Blueorange
Not Quite Blue Yet

Pullstop head scratcher!! Worn part Problems

Post by Blueorange »

Hi Everyone

The pull stop on my major has come away from the arm that sits on the injector. It’s the little bit that tightens onto the cord by a small bolt. I am not entirely sure how this part connects to the arm, but it looks like there was a rivet or flange that held it in place. I have not been able to get a pic of the right side to see.

Also if anyone could advise how I fix/repair this or where to buy a new one that would be of great help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1957 Major Mark 2
Norfolk
Newbie to restoration.

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Pullstop head scratcher!! Worn part Problems

Post by Timeee »

Dear Blueorange

The pull stop lever is pulled back to stop the engine and is connected to the stop cable by a small threaded "barrel" with a hole for the cable to go through and a small screw fixed into the threaded portion of the barrel to secure it. That small threaded barrel is secured to the lever by (what looks like to me) riveting. That is presumably what has failed in your instance. I repaired one of these a few years ago by using a solderless barrel nipple from a motorcycle control cable company (cannot remember its name). Try googling "motorcycle cable nipples" and it should come up with a supplier. The solderless barrel nipple I used had screws at both ends of the nipple and could be attached to the lever using one screw through the lever into the barrel and of course on the other side, you had the cable hole and screw to secure the cable to the barrel. It meant that you didn't have to dismantle the back of the Fuel Injection Pump to get the stop lever off to do an "original" repair.

Alternatively, if you have access to a small lathe, you could turn something similar to the solderless barrel nipple to effect a repair.

Good luck

Timee

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

Doesnt look too hard to repair u might be able to weld a washer to back side.... not much to go wrong in there. I actually just pulled mine off today as my stop leaver keeps going past the off position

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kzqS37 ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17xrVDY ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bSvrbH ... p=drivesdk

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

Hey blueorange i was at my local tractor yard today inquiring about a core pump. They have a bunch
Let me know if you would wanna buy that part? Pm me your adress and prefered shippung method and im sure we could work out a deal

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi blueorange

I'm also in Norfolk, near Wroxham, where are you ? if close come and have a look at the original part.

Mine is a '58 Mk2
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Blueorange
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Blueorange »

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your replies, sorry I have taken a while to get back to you, I've been away on holiday.

Thanks Timee for your reply, really helpful especially for the google description on the motorcycle part that really helps get in the ballpark with these type of little parts (Part number searches on this revealed nothing). Screws at both ends might be the best solution for me so I don't have to remove the lever.

Thanks Markr1001 for the pic! that really helps understand what was there! pics online are always from the other side of the injector. Hmm might be able to weld a washer back on or go for Timee's bolt method. Also thanks for the offer on getting the part! I've got the cable clamp part (luckily) so I will try to repair it first, but your offer is very much appreciated.

Oehrick! I did not realise you were also in Norfolk! Thanks for your offer to come take a look, I will MP you!

I really appreciate all your replies and will update when I've sorted what/how I am doing it!! Thanks
1957 Major Mark 2
Norfolk
Newbie to restoration.