injector pump drive oil seal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

injector pump drive oil seal

Post by hazzard »

Can anyone please tell me how to renew the oil seal on a vacuum injector pump drive? Mine super major one is leaking quite badly !

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: injector pump drive oil seal

Post by JC »

Is it the seal on the pump itself, or the one in front of the drive coupling on the engine?

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

JC wrote:Is it the seal on the pump itself, or the one in front of the drive coupling on the engine?
The seal is not on the pump, it's on the front of coupling, driven by the timing gears I think.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

You will have to take off the pump and the coupling. By putting a screw in the old seal you can try to remove it
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

JC

Post by JC »

I posted these pictures several years ago, but Photo Bucket deleted them. Here they are again.

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

JC wrote:I posted these pictures several years ago, but Photo Bucket deleted them. Here they are again.
Thank you JC, I had visions of having to remove the cover on the timing gears to get at it !!

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet
Location: Ft McMurray Alberta Canada (work) Cherryville, British C0lumbia Canada (home)

Post by Big Jim »

Nice pics and millwright approved removel process. Just please clean the shaft off before removel of the seal to help
prevent the exterior dirt from entering your timing gear area.
1964 Super Major 5000 with FEL and Backhoe. Unfortunately no PTO or Three Point Hitch

JC

Post by JC »

I worked at a sawmill for a few years. I was the mill yard maintenance man, but I worked with the millwrights all the time. That was a junk engine in those pictures. I removed the seal to show someone else how to do it. If it had been a good engine I would have cleaned the shaft and the dirt and paint around the O.D. of the seal.

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet
Location: Ft McMurray Alberta Canada (work) Cherryville, British C0lumbia Canada (home)

Post by Big Jim »

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I was not trying to start "something". Just wanted to point out something that is sometimes overlooked by others not so well versed in the mechanical trades. I loved working in sawmills
They were places where you made sure things got fixed to last till the weekend and then you got to fix them properly( if the parts showed up that is) Lots of good Macgyver tricks learned there in my younger years.
1964 Super Major 5000 with FEL and Backhoe. Unfortunately no PTO or Three Point Hitch

JC

Post by JC »

I didn't think that you were trying to start anything Jim. That's one thing that I don't like about internet forums. You can't hear the tone of a person's voice when they "say" something on here. You gave some good advice. Putting a new seal over that old rusty shaft would get dirt in the timing gears and it could even ruin the new seal. I was always impressed by that way that millwrights could make something out of nothing to keep the mill running until the new parts arrived. My job was like a millwright for everything that was outside the mill, except that I also operated most of the heavy equipment.

Big Jim
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Big Jim »

Yes you are very correct about the internet. Glad you never took my words the wrong way. And I envy you folks that could move a loader/forklift etc like they were race cars. Me, like its a old logging truck, slow and timid. OK time for me to hit the hay and call it a night. Work starts early here in Northern Alberta. Good night all.

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Big Jim wrote:Yes you are very correct about the internet. Glad you never took my words the wrong way. And I envy you folks that could move a loader/forklift etc like they were race cars. Me, like its a old logging truck, slow and timid. OK time for me to hit the hay and call it a night. Work starts early here in Northern Alberta. Good night all.
Thanks for all the replies, am in the middle of doing it now, just looking at pics again to see where to drill holes !

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Just to let you know, that modern seals don't have the metal surrounding like the old ones.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

mathias1 wrote:Just to let you know, that modern seals don't have the metal surrounding like the old ones.
:)