Pto pump issue solved, then broke again ! Shim pump ?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

Pto pump issue solved, then broke again ! Shim pump ?

Post by Livewire84 »

I have a 62 super major. I originally couldn't get the 3 point lift arms to lift anything, unless I had the throttle at almost full throttle, when i bought it. I tore into it, and cleaned the pick up screen, replaced lift ram oring, checked unloader valve and it still wouldn't work. Tore back into it, to find a blown oring in the hydraulic pump.
I replaced both orings in the pump, and had great pressure and lifting ability, until today.
Original problem is back. 3 point lift arms will barely lift any weight, with the engine revved almost max. I am going to tear into tomorrow, as I need the tractor as soon as I can get it running. I didn't shim anything in the pump, the last time I replaced the orings. Someone that offered advice on my original problem, when i posted the question, mentioned shimming the pump. Could someone elaborate on what i need to shim and what I am trying to achieve by doing this.
I am sure it is to take up the slack of wear over time on the pump, but how do i know what is enough or too much shim ?
What am i looking for when I do this, if the pump orings are bad again.
Or if anyone knows of a pump available in the U.S. that won't cost me my first born and my left front tire off my truck, please let me know where to look.
Thank you gentleman for the advice. This site is priceless !

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Pto pump issue solved, then broke again ! Shim pump ?

Post by JC »

Did you remove the pump again? What did you find this time?

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Yes. I removed the pump again. I can't figure out how to link the post i put all the pictures in. I think I noticed your username in that discussionas well. It is a older one, that I commented on and posted pictures.
The title is 62 fordson power major.
Look on page 2, for the pictures.
I would post them again, but it took me a while to upload them.
Thank you.

JC

Post by JC »

When you removed it this time, did you find that the same o-rings were blown out?

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Yes. Same orings were blown again.

JC

Post by JC »

I would make sure that you use good quality o-rings that are specifically for hydraulics. All o-rings aren't the same.