Np super question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Np super question

Post by Willl »

Hi all,

Could somebody knowledgeable tell me whether the mudguards on a np super are fomoco or enfo stamped?

Thanks
Will
1963 Super Major

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Np super question

Post by Timeee »

Dear Will

My July 1963 NP Super Major has Enfo on its original rear wings. I think Fomoco appeared on major castings (engine block etc) around that time, but perhaps Ford had a large stock of Enfo embossed mudguards, which saw them fitted to tractors into 1964.

Timeee

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Great - thank you Timeee, in that case am I correct in thinking that if I do a small weld repair to the replacement Enfo mudguards on my tractor (they are from an earlier major) then it would be difficult to tell them from original? i.e. Mudguards were pretty much the same through the years, correct?

Thanks again, Will
1963 Super Major

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Mudgards on supers are different from the previous majors, since the brakes are different
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

mathias1 wrote:Mudgards on supers are different from the previous majors, since the brakes are different
Yes I will have to let some metal into the hole for the drum brakes, am hoping then that they will look ok. To be honest they need repainting and fettling anyway so I'll get them off and do a job on them when time allows.

Thanks again :)
1963 Super Major

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi Willl

All the mudguards on the Fordson tractor range were stamped "EnFo".
It was only with the introduction of the Ford 6X range that they were stamped "FoMoCo".

Although Ford changed the casting markings on Fordson tractors to "FoMoCo" in 1963, bought in items such as mudguards continued to be stamped "EnFo" as before by the suppliers. My own NP Super Major is a very late production tractor with the 6X type rear lights fitted (as the late example in Stuart Gibbard's "Fordson" DVD) and it has "EnFo" stamped mudguards.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Yes I agree we have an oct. 64 with later type rear lights and it is enfo stamped on wings. Bulbs are all marked engo also. If you know where to look bonnet is stamped enfo and chassis side rails.
Some early NP Supers had some enfo marked castings such as front crossmember.
We have one NP with fomoco in a square rather than oval on one rear trumpet housing.

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Hi all,

Thanks for the information - interesting stuff.

My tractor was built in Oct 63 (3L11 to 3L18 casting codes) and seems to be mostly FoMoCo stamped, with the odd Enfo here and there.

I'm in the process of trying to retain the original lapsed registration from DVLA, to try and keep it as original as I can.

Regards,
Will
1963 Super Major