forson super major - OIL COMING OUT AT EXHAUST MANIFOLD

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

forson super major - OIL COMING OUT AT EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Post by kissamo »

DEAR ALL;

I HAVE REBUILD MY FSM engine with new sleeves, piston rings and pistons. I did not do anything with the cylinder head. After working working for sometime few days ago i noted oil coming out from exhaust manifold. I suspected that may be the inlet and outlet valves at the cylinder head failed and i decided to order new ones just in case.

any idea from you enthusiasts of fordson

RGDS

SvendH
True Blue

Re: forson super major - OIL COMING OUT AT EXHAUST MANIFOLD

Post by SvendH »

hi there
this is indemic to newly rebuilt engines,giv her time to bed the rings(a tank or two) and it should clear up.If she runs rough sounding and starts poorly then its COULD be worn out valves yes.
This is assuming ALL the rest of the engine is in good condition and injection-pump is good and properly timed.
best regards
Svend.

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dwol »

The engine needs more time in the field. Even broke in engines will produce something like oil from the exhaust when cold. If I remember correctly, the major engines do not get hot enough, until they are put hard in the field. Some people will remove their thermostats to assist with this problem.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

The older Majors has the shutters. Mine are moostly shut to get the engine hot enough. Even when ploughing in a match. The only time the engine wil get to the 190 F is at the end of a plough day or roadrun when driving home.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Replacing the thermostat with a hotter range one may help, removing the thermostat will make the engine run at its most cool but it is the hard work which helps this problem by working the bores and rings to give the best sealing (if it is oil accumulating on the cylinder walls)

Are you getting heavy breathing / oil sludge from the crankcase breather front rh side of the block as well ? if so possibly rings / bore condition

Have you checked that the breather pipe from rocker cover to air filter is completely clear ?

If the engine is breathing heavily into the rocker cover then valve stem sealing is most likely the problem.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

oehrick wrote:If the engine is breathing heavily into the rocker cover then valve stem sealing is most likely the problem.
OR there are naughty pics under the hood !! :mrgreen:

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

:beer:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Kissamo, before you replaced pots and pistons was oil dripping out of the lower part of the exhaust pipe? If so then you really need to re-furbish the cylinder head -- i.e. re-face valves and seats; plus new stem seals. If no oil dripped out then either the c/head gasket is leaking or the tapered piston scraper ring is fitted upside down -- they usually have a T or Top marked on them.
What colour is the exhaust smoke?
Also do not discard the thermostat as this will cause the engine to run cooler/colder.
Pavel

kissamo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kissamo »

DEAR ALL,

THANKS FOR VERY USEFUL COMMENTS. I WILL FOLOW UP ONE BY ONE AND I AM SURE I WILL SORT IT UP.

RGDS

KISSAMO

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Did you remember, when installing the cylinder head, to ensure that the rubber 'O' ring circling the oil hole in the block that
feeds the rocker gear was fitted? As well it is very easy to distort this rubber ring unless using the manual's prompting to use locating studs.
Pavel