Pump swap

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Pump swap

Post by NT »

Hi, since its looking like its going to cost an arm and leg to get my pump rebuilt on the 58 fordson new major(6-800$ or 925$ for reman) i was wondering if its possible to switch the simms vaccum governed pump on my 58 to a simms minimec pump off a fordson. I found a cheap minimec but didnt know if i could make it work. It all looks like it would bolt right up just change the fuel lines get rid of throttle plate in intake, and modifie the throttle linkage to go right to the pump. Thanks for any help

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

The Minimec and the vacuum-governed pumps use different mounts. Look at the Minimec, or a picture of it, and compare it to yours and you will see what I mean.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Mr NT
Another thing to keep in mind is, even if the "cheap" minimec pump does fit your 58, what condition is it in?
Do you then have to spend $4-500 to service/overhaul this pump, aswell as the purchase price. You might just aswell get your vacumn pump serviced/overhauled then.

There's a saying that comes to mind
"Better the devel you know than the one you don't know"

If there's one thing I would'nt scrimp money on, it's the injector pump and injectors.
Good Luck and keep us informed.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Yeah after doing alot of looking around i did notice that the minimec goes farther back the block. But i noticed that the block is the same i would just have to drill and tap a few holes in it. Nothing different than the factory would have done. The pump is told to be in good working condition. Worse case senerio i pick the pump up cheap (under 150) spend some time converting it and if it doesnt work i havnt lost to much money. But best case the pump works and i save a heck of alot of money. I plan in full to put the vaccum pump back on i just dont have the money to rebuild it right now and season is coming in fast for me to need the tractor. Thanks for the help.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Normally the timing is 21 degrees for Minimec but I am not shure what it would be with an older engine. The head gasket thickness and non spigoted sleeves and piston crown hight has something to do with the timing. Brian is the man to solv that mystery.
I do not know if the 4 cyl engine has the same difference with the rear mounting bolts than the 6 cyl. but if it has, then the rounded surface on the block is in the wrong place for the Minimec. You have to make an adapter for the rear end of the pump.

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

By the book my 58 as well as any with minimec are suposed to be at 21 deg. But if i have to play with it a little thats no big deal. Looking at the pictures the 4cyl seem to be made the same with either pump just different holes are drilled and tapped in the blocks. The space between the rounded surface and the lift pump look to be the same on both blocks. That would not be a fun adapter to make though if there was a difference. Looks like i might be safest to just suck it up and scrape together the money to rebuild the pump thats on it.

Kim
True Blue

Pump swap

Post by Kim »

There is a Fordson Major Simms pump on ebay right now in the state of Michigan. Do a search for Simms pump.
Never give up!

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Yeah i have seen that one to its a minimec as well. I would be happy as could be if a vaccum one showed up on there. Stinks that when i first got the tractor there where 3 pumps on ebay. Wish i knew then what i know now :lol: . I might consider bidding on the one on ebay if its gonna stay cheap enough. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Changing from Simms to Minimec is not a simple swap.

First you need the late model block with wide rear mount. Late 61 onwards.

Second you need to change the auxilary drive shaft as the key ways are 10deg out. Thats a sump off and timing case front plate strip down.

If you have a pre 61 block forget it. Its not possible.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kav »

Hi NT, One of my neighbours did exactly what you have in mind. He had a 58 major and he took the Vacuum governor pump off and fitted the Minimec pump. He did what you propose to do. He didn't touch the sump or timing case but drilled the extra holes for the Minimec cradle. If you can't get enough adjustment in the pump coupling, get a new keyway cut in one side of it to allow the different timing. Before he sold the tractor, he put the old Vacuum governed pump back on and kept the Minimec. Good luck - Best Regards - Michael.

NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by NT »

Thanks for the replys from everyone. Its good to here that it has been done and hopefully with hearing that i will be able to get the tractor running much sooner than i had hoped. I had full intent of trying the swap because i am confident that i can. Always like a challenge. I went ahead and called my local machine shop and they said it would cost like 10$ to cut me a keyway if i need it. Thanks again if i change it over i will let you guys know how it went. Nathan

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I have put a Minimec on an old block 590 E and had to fix an adapter for the rear end. Then I put a 1964 FL head and flywheel on it. There was no timing problems in my case. I don´t own it any more so I can´t check the cast code to know how old it was. The new owner said it runs well.