Power major rev issues

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
tregear85
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power major rev issues

Post by tregear85 »

Hi All

Firstly if I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place!

I am looking for help.....any help!

I have a 1959 power major which has been running fine for the last few years I've owned it, I did put a new diaphragm in the pump a year or so back. Yesterday It started to increase revs on its own when idling, it would also hold rev's when decelerated. After reading some forum posts last night I checked the vacuum pipes, butter fly valve and again the diaphragm. No issues found. When I started it today again the rev's would not behave and it would not kill properly I had to cover the air intake to cut her out. I noticed some milky scum in the rad cap and the oil cap, this made me think maybe the head was blowing and she was running on her engine oil causing the rev's to fluctuate, a friend thinks its maybe more of a fuel pump issue. It is also worth noting the the dipstick is perfectly good and clean no milking, raised level or any cause for concern.

I checked my pump as I read that I should check it had oil however I couldn't work out where the oil fill is.

Any thoughts or help gratefully received, a dead tractor is the last thing I need being stuck at home for months!

thanks

Tim

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: Power major rev issues

Post by Old Hywel »

It does sound as though the injection pump is not behaving. Take off the panel/cover from the side, and you’ll be able to see if the rack moves freely. It does sound like lack of lube, pour some in while you have the side off.

SvendH
True Blue

Re: Power major rev issues

Post by SvendH »

Hello Tim,

The issues you have make me think the vacume unit is malfunktioning,since you have replaced the diaphram I think it could be the damper-piston has fallen off the control rod within the diaphram bell-house.

Alternativly it could also as Old Hywel says be a sticking pump-rack,A check under the side-cover of the pump should throw som light on this.

The vacume governed diesel-pump is lubricated only by diesel leak-off.Giv it a squirt of engine-oil while you have the cover off.

Check also the vent-filter on top of the pump for a cloged seive.

Make VERY SURE you dont have diesel in the engine-sump :x