Wheel weight bolts

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Wheel weight bolts

Post by Willl »

Evening all,

Does anyone know where in the UK it would be possible to obtain wheel weight bolts for a Major? I would need the 5 bolts to hold the starter weights and then the bolts to hold the rest, along with the tabs of course.

I've seen a couple of items on EBay but don't know what the quality would be like so would welcome any recommendations.

Ditto front weights..

Thanks,
Will
1963 Super Major

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Wheel weight bolts

Post by Timeee »

Dear Will

Any decent fastener supplier should be able to help you, if you can give them the specifications which are below (taken from the parts list).

The rear Aux weight to weight bolts are 1/2" x 13 x 3 and 3/4in square head bolt. That is a UNC thread. Part no 23108 S The S indicates a plain finish.
The rear Wheel to weight bolts are 5/8in x 18 x 2 and 3/4 in Hex head bolt. That is a UNF thread. Part No 45804 S2 The S" indicates a Raven finish (black?) 5 each side

The front wheel weights are the same as the rear ones for aux weight to weight and are 1/2in x 13 x 2 3/4 in square head bolt. 4 each side. Part No 23108 S.

The reinforcement, or tabs as you call them are a special Fordson part only, so getting a set of them could be difficult. They fit snugly into the curve of the rear wheel Part No E27N 1077, so they were used on the earlier majors from 1946 to 1951 as well as the E1A majors. They were also used on the dual rear wheel sets.

Hope that is some help.

Tim E

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Well that's a fantastic detailed reply, thank you Tim !!

Regards,
Will
1963 Super Major

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Will,

check out item number 1862 on pocock tractor supplies.

Rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Thanks very much Emiel I will certainly have a look at Pocock many thanks.

Please could somebody point me in the direction of the parts list as referred to by Tim? I need the specs for the front slab weight carriage bolts, I know this has been discussed on here previously and I remember reading a detailed reply by Brian, but now I've closed the page and can't relocate it. I need the bolts to be long enough for three front slab weights.

Thanks again,
Will
1963 Super Major

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Will

According to the parts list there are 3 slab weights to a set. There appears to be 2 different types of bolts used for the 2 functions;

1. Front cross member to weight bolt 3/4"x 10 (UNC) x 3 and 3/4 inch long hex head bolt, 2 off.

2. Front weight bolt. 3/4" x 10 (UNC) x 4 and 1/4 inch long square head bolt, 4 off.

Regards

Tim E

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Thank you again Tim!!

Regards,
Will
1963 Super Major

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

I used to put 4 slabs combined with front wheel weights on mine to handle the big TSR 107 plough. I used threaded bars and dit cut them to length. Timee is right about the size: 3/4 unc.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Thanks Mathias - So if I go for the threaded bar option, which seems to be preferable on a cost basis, I just need 3/4 UNC threaded bar - high tensile steel - x 15 inches or so, and then cut them back to size?

Thanks again
Will
1963 Super Major

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Willl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 am
Thanks Mathias - So if I go for the threaded bar option, which seems to be preferable on a cost basis, I just need 3/4 UNC threaded bar - high tensile steel - x 15 inches or so, and then cut them back to size?

Thanks again
Will
Yes, that is true, as long as you have genuine fordson weights. The ford 1000 ones do not fit, but you can make an adapter plate for it.
And you need some nuts too of course. :D
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Willl
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willl »

Thanks Mathias, much appreciated, yes I have the Enfo weights.
Best regards
Will
1963 Super Major