6 Cylinder Super Majors

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

6 Cylinder Super Majors

Post by CraigScania »

Hi guys,have purchased the two 6 Cylinder Super Majors i spoke about a couple of weeks ago(still trying to load pics on here) and have a couple of points maybe you can help me with.
1. One has a gearbox problem and i can only select 2nd and reverse.Took off inspection plate next to the clutch pedal and found a shaft or pin about half an inch thick and four inches long lying broken in the bottom of the box any ideas what this is and will i have to split the tractor to replace it?
2.Both tractors have lazy starters but i know where i can get starters off Super Majors .Will these starters be enough to start a 6 cylinder.
4.Through your exellent forum i have found that one engine has FL marked on the head and this indicates its 108 HP.
Many thanks for all the help.Craig.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Congratulations with your purchases!! :clap:

I am planning to put a Dorset-starter on my 6 cylinder. Those starters are great!
I have experienced one on a 4 cylinder SuperMajor of a friend of mine. When you even "look" at the starterbutton, the engine has started. :D
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

Took both covers off side of gearbox and tank and steering box off this afternoon.Problem seems to be the handbrake mechanism.There seems to be a number of plates held in line by the pin i found in the bottom of the gearbox.You have probably heard this a hundred times but will i have to split the tractor to repair this or is there and easy way to do it? Many Thanks.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

any d series lorry starter motor will fit your engine and possible ford cargo starters.
fl head is a thames trader engine between 90 and 100hp.
what is the other engine if the diesel pump is directly attached to timing cover then it is a more modern engine most likley a lorry or crane engine.

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

Thanks for the starter info Super Six.The other engine is a 510 and the shaft goes from the pump to the timing cover.Have e-mailed some pics to SandyMac so hopefully you will see them soon.Craig

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Here we go.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

nice looking machines.
the one at the bottom has got alot of weight on it must grip really well, any idea what they where to be used for before you got them.

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

Thanks for loading the pics Sandy i will send you some more.The guy i bought them off was a scrap dealer who cleared a farm outside Kirkcaldy for a farmers widow.He told me the lady had 20 on her farm and he cut up 4 last year before he realised how scarce they were(the 4 were E27Ns 2 with Perkins engines.)when a guy came to him and bought most off him.This 2 had been lying for a year but when tow started they started in the length of each other and what a lovely purr, music to my ears.Stripped the gearbox in the one with the white wheels yesterday and found the problem,the two dowels holding the handbrake plates together had sheered off and fell into the bottom of the gearbox.Does any know if these dowels are tapered or threaded or can i just chap them out? Craig

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Something has been taken from an other engine. The FL head should have a Minimec and not a Simms GM fuel pump from the beguinning.

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

The first pic has thr FL head and the minimec pump and i think the 2nd pic is the older engine.The tractor with the red wheels is more powerfull than the one with the white wheels.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Those two pumps looks the same to me??? :? Simms GM not Minimec.

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

fhrn
Last edited by CraigScania on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

CraigScania wrote:Sorry Grani but im in love with them.
You don,t have to be sorry. It is normal to be in love with these things :lol: ,but a Minimec looks like this.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w315 ... 003-11.jpg

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

Thanks for the minmec pic Grani.Still trying to sort out this handbrake problem.Craig.