Seized Engine

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Cobungra
Not Quite Blue Yet

Seized Engine

Post by Cobungra »

Our Fordson Diesel Power Major, Serial Number 1490653 (see following image) stopped working about a year ago, with the engine seized, and unable to be moved externally, but due to a busy lifestyle and lack of machinery Knowledge, we never managed to find time to try fix it.

Over the past couple of days, my father and I carefully pulled apart the top of the engine to see into the pistons, removing everything to take off the head. After doing so, on inspection, the cylinder Gaskets appeared to be rusted, along with some oil in the engine. I can provide more information, but for now, let the images speak for themselves.

1951 Major, 1959 Power Major, ???? E27N (dead)

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Seized Engine

Post by Emiel »

Hi Cobungra,

Looks like you're in one of the dryer and warmer area's of our globe. Australia? South Africa?

Let me start with the good news. Overhauling a Fordson Major engine is not rocket science, even I did it with succes without to much knowledge. With the help from this board and a copy of the original workshop manual I managed it. No need for special tools.

Compared to other makes of tractor common in Europe, parts really are affordable.

From what I see your cilinder linders #1 and #4 are quite damaged by water and rust. Probably the cause of seizing as well.
My idea would be:
  • fill up with coca cola and wait untill you can turn over.
    Take sump of, remove pistons,
    check condition of crankshaft bearings
    remove cilinder linders
    purchase new set of liners, pistons, piston rings and according bearings, main bearings for engine and a gasket set
    Put together again.
if crankshaft needs work then you'll have take the engine from ghe clutch to be able to get the crankshaf out. Not a big deal. You will be surprised how easy it is to work with these tractors. Just the weight is something to take care off.

Check with a ruler whether your cilinderhead is OK, might be best to give it in an engine shop to skim if needed and get the injectors out and checked/replaced.

We can go more in detail, but I think you have to proceed step by step.

rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Did it seize while working, or while unused?

Cobungra
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cobungra »

Thanks Emiel for the Comprehensive response! I am indeed in Australia, in a more arid part of the country. So far we have tried soaking the pistons in a lubricant, but the crankshaft is still completely unmovable. From what I can attain from the tractor's documentation, the next step is to remove the bottom of the engine to get at the pistons and remove them. I'll post onto this thread again when I've taken the next step.
Old Hywel, the tractor was unused, and could not be turned over at all.

Thanks

Cobungra

TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TimMarquee »

Hi Cobungra,

When I was on breakdown recovery we used to use Cola, as mentioned earlier in this thread... it’s amazing what it can eat away at so I would suggest pouring a ‘cold one’ onto each cylinder and leave for maybe 48 hours and see if you can crank it. It eats away at rust, diesel atomising and more. Great for leaky injectors, especially in Mercedes engines! I reckon your piston rings have seized onto the liners, especially on number 4. If the tractor was running previously you may be making more work for yourself stripping the bottom end out too... although there is always the thought that ‘while it’s apart do everything’!

Hopefully my thoughts aren’t too controversial!

Tim

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

Hiya.

In the past on boat engine that had injected a fair amount of water I’ve ended up having to remove the crank shaft and then with gurt bar and mini sledge beat the piston down and out. When it was put we then found the serious amount of bend the conrod took.

I doubt yours will take this much mind! Petrol diesel mix is a good solution.

Cobungra
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cobungra »

Good news, I managed to get the crankshaft to move in combination with penetrating oil and using a pipe on the end of the spanner to get more leverage. We took the head into a reconditioner and he managed to diagnose the problem. Soon we will have new gaskets and will be able to put it back together!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Glad to hear. :buddies: Get it to move all the way around and then pull the pistons and check the rings in the cylinder bore for wear.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major