Hello! I’m new...

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hello! I’m new...

Post by TimMarquee »

Good morning from Exeter, Devon (SW UK)

I thought it a bit rude to just join and post questions immediately and from what I gather it’s good etiquette to say hello before asking for advice and help! Also shows the moderators that I’m genuine I believe?

I’m Tim, 36, I’m Operations Manager/truck driver/bit of everything else for a marquee company, and my wife bought me a non-running FPM, April 1960 as an early Christmas present about 6 months ago and he was promptly named “Trevor” :D In a previous life I ran a recovery/rescue operation so am handy on the spanners, but can’t always work out what to do and in what order by myself on stuff I’ve not fixed before.

After spending a small fortune on parts I’ve finally been given the time to fit them all and get Trevor running, only to find more issues... fairly standard! I’m about to strip the steering out as I have a similar problem to another post I read on here the other day- steers fully left-hand-down but only about 10 degrees right-hand-down so assuming I have a collapsed bearing...

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll be asking questions before too long, and you never know, may be able to share some of the things I have learned.

Cheers for now! :beer:

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Hello! I’m new...

Post by mathias1 »

Hello Tim,

Welcome on board!

Take your time to get your tractor known, and try not to hurry things up. When you have some issues, you can always get here for some help. That's the reason we are here. Top tip: Make some pictures during your progress!
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TimMarquee »

Thanks for the welcome! Here’s a test picture of Trevor. The weep from the hub seal has been fixed but I’ve not yet cleaned the wheel off! Notice the very shiny Simms pump... it was in a very bad way but Bob Beck Fuel Injection in the UK did a SUPERB rebuild, very quickly but it was expensive- you get what you pay for though!

I’ll take pictures as I fix things and share, although I’ve already done a few things; Brakes & cables, lift and injector pump, head gasket, water pump, new (non original) seat, PTO output seal, new gauges, steering wheel, new footplate brackets etc. I’ve had plenty of time recently due to the virus situation here.

All the best, Tim

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Very nice Christmas present. Your wife must love you a lot. Or :scratchhead:

Welcome Tim
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

She is really a beauty. Like the rear rims. :D
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Straight 6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Straight 6 »

Welcome, I'm new on here aswell, nice major, there's some great members on here who are very helpfull

Peter L
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Peter L »

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice. I'm across the pond in the states but have a FPM. January 1960. All I can say is that it is totally worth fixing. Love my Power Major. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major