Leaks.... All over the show!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Leaks.... All over the show!

Post by TimMarquee »

Hi all

10 days ago we had a lovely Fleming 6ft topper delivered, and I’ve been out on Trevor mowing the field (4 acres). I’ve established that I have more leaks than I initially thought, having already replaced various seals before I bought him home (I’ve been working on him at work until recently.)

I’m after some advice on a couple of things please, and would be grateful for any input!

1. I have a leak from the pivot for the hydraulic control arm under the seat. I’ve taken it apart and the pivot only has one o-ring slot, and the pivot doesn’t come flush with the front of the housing. I’m assuming that a previous owner has botched this somehow as I thought the pivot had two o-rings, one in either side of the housing?

2. My belt pulley is leaking, and to be honest I’m really not keen on it from a safety point of view. As I’m not going to use it, can I just remove it and fit a blanking plate, or would I need to replace anything in the gearbox (a bit like fitting an overdrive to an old Land Rover and you have to take one of the gears out)?

3. My new cork rocker cover gasket is almost pouring oil out, from doing a search on the forum I see a lot of Dexta owners have had problems with ill fitting ones, can anyone recommend a manufacturer/supplier for a decent one please?

4. I have a new bottom crank pulley seal, I’m going to fit that and see how it goes. Is anyone able to let me know a part number for a speedy sleeve should I need to sleeve the pulley too please?

Once again, thank you in advance for any advice or opinions! And apologies if I should have posted these as individual topics :scratchhead:

Cheers, Tim

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Leaks.... All over the show!

Post by mathias1 »

TimMarquee wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:48 pm
Hi all

10 days ago we had a lovely Fleming 6ft topper delivered, and I’ve been out on Trevor mowing the field (4 acres). I’ve established that I have more leaks than I initially thought, having already replaced various seals before I bought him home (I’ve been working on him at work until recently.)

I’m after some advice on a couple of things please, and would be grateful for any input!

1. I have a leak from the pivot for the hydraulic control arm under the seat. I’ve taken it apart and the pivot only has one o-ring slot, and the pivot doesn’t come flush with the front of the housing. I’m assuming that a previous owner has botched this somehow as I thought the pivot had two o-rings, one in either side of the housing?

2. My belt pulley is leaking, and to be honest I’m really not keen on it from a safety point of view. As I’m not going to use it, can I just remove it and fit a blanking plate, or would I need to replace anything in the gearbox (a bit like fitting an overdrive to an old Land Rover and you have to take one of the gears out)?

3. My new cork rocker cover gasket is almost pouring oil out, from doing a search on the forum I see a lot of Dexta owners have had problems with ill fitting ones, can anyone recommend a manufacturer/supplier for a decent one please?

4. I have a new bottom crank pulley seal, I’m going to fit that and see how it goes. Is anyone able to let me know a part number for a speedy sleeve should I need to sleeve the pulley too please?

Once again, thank you in advance for any advice or opinions! And apologies if I should have posted these as individual topics :scratchhead:

Cheers, Tim
Tim,
1. your's isnt a super major? as far as i can see, there's only one. but I'm only familiar with the super major

2. You can fit a blanking plate just like that, no further things have to be done

3. Did you clean out the grooves and the cilinderhead? Also make sure it fits right, apply a bit of grease or liquid gasket to hold the cork in to place. Also don't tighten it too much, as this will cause it to leak.

4. you only need a speedy sleeve when you have a run out groove in the pulley. You will have to measure the diameter of the pulley. I think the diameter changed at one moment during the production time of the major.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

2,3 and 4 are coverd up by Mathias. My recommendation would although not be to remove the belt pulley. It's part of the identity of a 1950's tractor. With a little creativity you can lock the handle to make it safer.

For leak 1. The spare parts list for the hydraulic valve chest states 3 0-rings for the hydraulic control valve and 5 when an auxilliary valve is mounted. Only one O-ring is shown on the drawing, or two with the auxiliary valve. Can't find the other O-rings but I assume you're right and at least two should be fitted on the shaft of the lever.

Part no. is 116516-ES and it is calles Seal (H.P.L. valve gear oil passage)-7/16" I.D. rubber. Used from 52 up to #157885. Also up to the last power major.

I'll try to look up on my P/P major later today and make a photo.

rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TimMarquee »

Thank you gents.

Trevor is a 1960 Power Major, number 155****. I appreciate the sentiment of keeping the pulley on for historical purposes, so maybe I’ll rethink that and replace the seal rather than blank it off.

I would post a photo of the hydraulic lever, but it’s absolutely pouring here today and I don’t have anywhere undercover to work (yet!). According to the exploded diagrams it looks like there should be 2 o-rings, interesting that Emiel has found information stating 3, so I think one of my jobs today is to look into this further and check I am looking at the correct diagrams....

Many thanks for the other hints Mathias, especially the rocker gasket, as I didn’t pay enough attention to notice there is a groove. I’ll split apart and assess.

Cheers, Tim

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TimMarquee »

With regard to the hydraulic lever, I’ve looked at the diagrams from the NH parts list, and it states only one O-ring (no. 62). My problem is that I have oil weeping from the pivot hole above where the number 45 is- has anyone else encountered this? It’s the leak that is causing me most frustration!!

Cheers, Tim

TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TimMarquee »

And thank you Emiel for the parts list and detailed diagrams :D

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

do'nt worry, I start worrying when a Fordson stops leaking.
Best regards

Emiel

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Emiel wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:50 am
do'nt worry, I start worrying when a Fordson stops leaking.
Then there's no oil in it! :eyes:
I hope to get mine to stop leaking too.
Anyway, here they say: if a Ford is not leaking, it's not a good one.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Now that's a true statement if I ever heard one. You can never get lost on an old Fordson as it will leave a trail to follow where ever it goes. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major