Brake actuators - super major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Brake actuators - super major

Post by mathias1 »

Since one of the brake actuators was broken on the Super 4, I ordered 2 new ones to install.
Seems like the combination of all these new parts is to width to fit in the housing. When all screwed together the wheel can't be turned. All screws are set loose...
Woodcutter once reported the same problem: https://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpb ... kes#p51980
He ordered from agriline, my parts are coming from else where.

Is there anyone that got the same problem?
Will email the supplier to inform and ask for a solution.

Sorry, seems like I only did make 1 picture:
Notice the longer shaft for the diff lock pedal. Just behind the 2nd brake disk you see a bit of the splines. These engage the gear that turns the drive shaft of the front wheel on the right. In between is an oil seal.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Brake actuators - super major

Post by mathias1 »

The standard size of the ball should be 7/8". Will open one tomorrow and see if this is right. I'm thinking of following the suggestion of Shepp to place smaller balls. Maybe like 3/4", Should give a few mm extra room.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Might County have altered the standard brakes by fitting their own parts instead Mathias - with two driven axles they may have decided a different braking effect was needed ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Rick,

These haven't been changed by county. Which seems rare to me. Even for the County super 6 they are using the same style of brakes. But it does brake on the 4 wheels.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

I did some more investigation:

The new actuator disc is easily 3mm thicker then the old one (as far as I can measure the broken one)

There's less then 2mm between the 2 rotating discs, so fitting smaller balls will not help..
Taking off material on the roating disc is almost impossible. The springs are fixed almost near the surface.

While looking at different suppliers, there seems to be 2 different styles available:
You can tell the difference looking at the style of the springs and the way they are fitted:

Original style:

The one I bought:

The other style I've found which looks more the same as the original one:

janus
True Blue

Post by janus »

some years ago, also replaced the brakes ( brake discs, and brake actuators ) on the super major, also the same problem !! it didn't fit !! ( it was just a few mm )
therefore I carefully put the brake disc in the lathe, slightly removed some material from the 4 brake disc surfaces!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

janus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:21 pm
some years ago, also replaced the brakes ( brake discs, and brake actuators ) on the super major, also the same problem !! it didn't fit !! ( it was just a few mm )
therefore I carefully put the brake disc in the lathe, slightly removed some material from the 4 brake disc surfaces!
Janus it's a shame this things don't fit. There's like 3mm difference between the old and new one. If you take off material of the 4 brake discs, Is like using already used brake pads on a car. I see 2 options left: your option or finding a used one.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Mathias,

Can't you return these and get the Sparex ones which seems to be the right size? Or other idea, how much wall thicknes is there? Can't you mill the acutator 1,5 mm down on both sides?

rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi Mathias

Don't know if this help's but I have 2 pairs of new discs and linings and 2 new actuators
which are genuine Ford parts which I acquired with other new Super Major parts including some gears and bull pinion shafts in the early 1970's and which I keep for whenever I might need them.

The discs and linings measure virtually exactly 13mm across on the thickness, and on the actuators the thickness of one component half is 15mm and the thickness of the other component half is 16.5mm

This might help you to identify where the problem is arising. If a change of actuator balls will not do the trick I would take the actuators to a machine shop and have them take some metal off the faces with a milling machine or precision grinder so that the package will assemble without binding. You may have to let in the spring retaining points as well, but you would have a couple of mm to play with if the springs were proud after machining the actuators because there would be at least 2mm of lining left as the linings wear before the actuators were on the rivets and this would keep the spring edges off the metal centre hub of the brake disc. However looking at the picture of the actuator you have bought it looks as though there is quite a lot of metal where the springs hook round so you should be able to let the springs in more at the hook points to allow metal to be taken off the actuator faces.
Last edited by shepp on Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

You appear to have bought goods which are “Not fit for purpose”. Contacting your supplier should be your first move, particularly if they are a different size from the ‘genuine’ dimensions quoted above.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

shepp wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:35 pm
Hi Mathias

Don't know if this help's but I have 2 pairs of new discs and linings and 2 new actuators
which are genuine Ford parts which I acquired with other new Super Major parts including some gears and bull pinion shafts in the early 1970's and which I keep for whenever I might need them.

The discs and linings measure virtually exactly 13mm across on the thickness, and on the actuators the thickness of one component half is 15mm and the thickness of the other component half is 16.5mm

This might help you to identify where the problem is arising. If a change of actuator balls will not do the trick I would take the actuators to a machine shop and have them take some metal off the faces with a milling machine or precision grinder so that the package will assemble without binding. You may have to let in the spring retaining points as well, but you would have a couple of mm to play with if the springs were proud after machining the actuators because there would be at least 2mm of lining left as the linings wear before the actuators were on the rivets and this would keep the spring edges off the metal centre hub of the brake disc. However looking at the picture of the actuator you have bought it looks as though there is quite a lot of metal where the springs hook round so you should be able to let the springs in more at the hook points to allow metal to be taken off the actuator faces.
Shepp,

I did measure all parts:
one disc is cloe to 13mm, the other one is like 13,2mm. The parts of the actuators is not that easy to measure, the overal thickness is 34mm. Another supplier did measure his brake actuator and has 33,7mm.
Worth a try?
Don't know if I can find a machine shop to turn them down, so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Eventually I can sand down the linings a bit?

It's not so easy to measure, but at one point I found that I need about 60mm in total, so if I can gain like 2 mm, it might work.