'57 Major, hydraulic faliures - Opinions?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Hair Bear
True Blue

'57 Major, hydraulic faliures - Opinions?

Post by Hair Bear »

Hi,
This tractor has been standing for 15 years - started ok and runs fine.
First try of the lift lever the arms came up to the top, loud bang under the seat. The machine had been fitted with a trailer tipping pipe that had been routed through a brass gate valve (don't know why) and the brass had split. Assuming it was a water type fitting for use at 60 or so psi not overly bothered and removed it. Brought the arms up again, engine laboured a bit at the top, all appeared ok. Didn't really give it a second thought so went off to put a plough on it. Lifted the plough ok and held it. Put it down and picked it up again, up to the top then it dropped straight to the floor and wouldn't budge.
We pulled the top apart to find the internal cylinder was in about 20 pieces looking like a 3d jigsaw puzzle.
Anyone else seen something similar or a plausible explanation?
Could it be condensation or water in the oil, and frost over the years weakened it?
Failed or stuck relief valve and shattered by oil pressure?
So I'm now on the hunt for a hydraulic cylinder p/n E1ADKN-994758 if anyone has one or knows of one any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: '57 Major, hydraulic faliures - Opinions?

Post by henk »

Hair bear,

Bad news.
Cylinder is normal cast iron.
It would be no big deal machining a new one, but where do you get a bar of cast iron and you need a lathe and someone who can use it.

I think a breaker would be the best option.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Thanks, I'm guessing our local dealer won't be able to get one so breakers are likely the only option, though I'm still curious to know what caused it to fail. I don't want to destroy another by not fixing a fault.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

You need to check the pressure relief valve works, normally when the lift gets to the top with the engine a lowish revs you may notice a short drop in speed the hear the sound of the valve venting inside the top cover, if you don't and the engine struggles then the PRV is probably stuck or not venting full bore. That having been said I have known a number of seized valve but never know a lift cylinder blow.

If the brass valve was fitted it had probably worked OK, it's failure may indicate it saw more pressure than it had been used to.

I'd go with Henk and suggest tracking down another top

Welcome to the group and sorry it's under these conditions !
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Is there a way of testing the prv without putting a replacement cylinder at risk?
Odd thing is, the casting dates on the bell housing and hydraulic top are 2 years adrift which suggests the top has been replaced before - for a reason we'll never know.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Maybe your tractor is fitted with a hpl later in life. Not uncommon for a tractor of that age.

Testing the prv is easy. Fit a pressure gauge in the port for a hydraulic line and start lifting with idle speed and see what happens at which pressure. If you don’t reach the design pressure of your system increase engine revs slowly. If the valve doesn’t blow round the set pressure then there is something wrong.

I assume your piston is broken due to water corrosion freezing etc. Can’t Imagine the cilinder breaks this fast. Would think some seals will go first or may be the pump. Driving around with a lifted implement will give far higher peak pressures in the cilinder then the pump will be able to supply.

Henk’s idea is quite good. Find a tube of cast iron (engine rebuilder probably) and a good machinist.

Rgds Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Sorry, HPL?
High pressure _______?

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hydraulic power lift
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Ah, see where your going. I hadn't considered that.