Fordson Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Thrad68
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Power Major

Post by Thrad68 »

It is about time that I introduce myself to this group, as I have been lurking for some time attempting to learn what I could about these tractors... I live in the eastern part of central lower-Michigan, about half-way between Lansing and Detroit. Our county is agricultural on the northwest side; and suburban on the southeast. I located this FPM not 1/4 mile from my home, in the barn of a neighbor who I knew as Mr. Mundy. As it turns out he's not only a farmer but a small business owner and a retired state trooper. It seems that one job was never enough for Mr. Mundy... Anyway, Fordson was not a particularly common tractor in these parts, although there are more Ford 8N's and 9N's than you can shake a stick at. I thought it's condition was quite good for it's age, and asked him it's story. Mr. Mundy explained to me that his father bought the tractor new in 1960 and used it on their family farm near Swartz Creek for many years. When his father passed away several years ago, his mother parked it in the barn. Twenty-five years later she decided to sell the farm and a few of his father's old tractors came to live with him. I told Mr. Mundy about the Fordson Major tractor my grandfather owned when I was a young child; and how I'd always thought about buying one. Mr. Mundy informed me that he had no use for the tractor and I was welcome to it, for the right price. The only catch was, it had to be a two-for-one deal... I got the running Power Major, but had to take another old Major Diesel "parts tractor" along with it! And so I am the proud owner of a 1960 FPM and a 1954ish FMD... :lol: I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure that out.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson Power Major

Post by henk »

Welcome Trad68,

Nice story and glad you saved two Majors.

I know there are many oldtimer tractors in Michigan. The serie Dr Pol is on TV in the Netherlands for a few years now and in between actions the show shots of farms and fields from your State. I spot mainly Allis Chalmers, JD and International Farmall.

I'm sure the forum is able to help you out with many issues.

Take a look on the main site and klick on FFCN. In the part technical information you find a lo of documents. I'm sure some are usefull for you.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

terry82
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by terry82 »

Hey Thrad68... thank you for sharing the story of how you came to acquire the Fordson. I wish I had a parts Major!

I'm new, too and embarking on a Fordson adventure. Im so glad that people are saving these things!

Welcome!

Terry

Thrad68
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Thrad68 »

Mr. Henk;

My wife enjoys Dr. Pol as well! You are correct, AC, JD, IH dominate the antique tractor scene here, as well as the smaller Ford tractors. I suspect that the rarity of Fordson is owed to the fact they were imported from England. I would assume there was added cost due to shipping.

Mr. Terry82;

The parts Major is really almost entirely whole. At some point Mr. Mundy's brother scavenged a few parts off of it but those will be easily replaced. I'm not sure why he didn't just order the parts, unless the engine (or gears) have a major issue...we will see.

THR

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have a 1960 Power Major also. It is a very good tractor. You are going to enjoy running it. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major