Starter motor whine and overheating

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
swilshere
Not Quite Blue Yet

Starter motor whine and overheating

Post by swilshere »

I have a 1962 diesel Super Major. When I tried to start it recently there was a high-pitched whining noise from the starter motor and it started smoking. It started but the whining continued while it was running and there was s smell of overheating wires. I decided to buy a new starter motor which I have fitted. However, the problem is still there. When I connect the battery leads there is an immediate high-pitched whine from the starter motor. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem may be and how it can be fixed?

shepp
True Blue

Re: Starter motor whine and overheating

Post by shepp »

Hello

Sounds very much like the solenoid, which is inline between the battery and the starter and located under the bonnet near the air cleaner, is stuck in the engaged position so that there is a constant live feed to the starter at all times. This could be because either the contact plates in the solenoid have fused together, or because the Excitor feed to the solenoid is constantly live.

If you locate the solenoid you will see that there is a heavy cable coming from the battery to one terminal and a heavy cable coming from the other terminal on the solenoid and going to the starter. There is also a light cable with a spade or screw terminal on the solenoid, this is the Excitor feed. Remove this light wire from off the terminal and see if the problem persists or if the starter goes silent. If it stays noisy and still running then the solenoid is faulty and needs replacing. If the starter goes quiet then the problem is due to the Excitor feed being constantly live, this could be due to a faulty or wrongly adjusted engagement switch on the starter itself which is located near where the engagement rod attaches with a pin to the starter. However if you have fitted a new or reconditioned starter this switch should be operating correctly and correctly adjusted already, so the problem is very likely due to the contact plates in the solenoid having burned and fused together, and a new solenoid is the answer. They are cheap and widely available from the spares suppliers, and easy to fit - but remember to disconnect the battery before carrying out electrical work.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

swilshere
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swilshere »

Thanks very much for the quick and helpful reply. I will follow up on this and let you know how it goes.

swilshere
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swilshere »

I have taken the light cable off of the solenoid as you suggested and when I reconnect the battery the starter resumes running. I have therefore ordered a new solenoid and will fit this when it arrives which will hopefully cure the problem.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

A sharp knock on the metal part of the solenoid with a hammer may release the contacts and allow you you carry on while waiting a replacement
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

swilshere
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swilshere »

I ordered a solenoid and fitted it and seems to have worked in that when everything is connected and I try to start the tractor the whine has gone and the engine turns over. However it turns very slowly and won't start. I have charged the battery and the charger shows it has charged, but the engine still won't turn over fast enough and start. The battery is quite old so it might be a new battery is now needed. Hopefully I will get there in the end. Thank you for your advice on the solenoid.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Good news.
Do you have a volt meter?
Load the battery. Put it on the right poles and start. When the Voltage is going under de 10V while starting its moost likely that the battery is bad.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

swilshere
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swilshere »

It has been an embarrassingly long time since I have let you know how things went. I won’t go into why but I eventually managed to get hold of a meter and someone to help and I checked the battery as you suggested. Whilst cranking over it showed a reading of 5v. I therefore bought a replacement battery charged it up and installed it. The good news was that the tractor started straightaway, the bad news was after about five seconds it stopped. Despite further attempts to start it, both then and after leaving it an hour or two it would still not start. I can see there is diesel in it and some smoke comes out of the exhaust when trying to start it but it just won’t get going. I can’t really complain as I have had the tractor for almost 30 years and never had any particular problems with it, it has always started straight away after winter lay up. However this year it has obviously decided that it’s going on lock down and self isolating in the barn. I will puzzle over what to do next unless you or anyone else have any thoughts as to what I should be trying next. Best regards Steve

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Maybe the stop cable got stuck?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You might want to bleed the fuel system.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

You see diesel, but is it enough. Could be dirt on the tapfilter or even water in the tank. So remove the fuel line from the tap with the tap closed and than open it. Look for any water coming out. If it runs enough diesel than work the fuel system op to the top of the diesel pump by cranking the diesel pump with the glas bowl and opening the air srews. Could be a verry dirty fuel filter.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

swilshere
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by swilshere »

Thank you for the suggestions. About to leave for five weeks touring Scotland in the motor home but will try out the suggestions, hopefully before I leave if not when I get back. Steve