Crank Pulley Removal Tool (home made!)

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Crank Pulley Removal Tool (home made!)

Post by TimMarquee »

Hi all,

I’ve been nice and busy sorting various things with Trevor- the steering box being one (new bearings, shaft, seal and worm nut) which wasn’t difficult but time consuming and very frustrating as the ball bearings aren’t enclosed in a race!

The other more pressing was the crank pulley leak from the timing cover. I’ve read several posts on here regarding people having difficulty removing the crank pulley so I thought I’d share a couple of photos of the tool I made up using an old circular saw blade in the hope that it may help someone out one day. A handy tip- If you don’t have enough spare 9/16 bolts you can always pinch the two that hold the fuel filter to the cylinder head.

I also had the dreaded groove in the pulley so I took it down to my mate’s engineering shop, and after lots of measuring he decided to put the pulley into his lathe and took about 0.5mm - 0.7mm off. As the seal is 63.5mm internally, and after machining the pulley measured 66.0mm he told me to give it a go. It fits very tight, and is now leak free- and if I do notice any leaking in future I can always fit a speedy sleeve!

All the best, Tim

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Crank Pulley Removal Tool (home made!)

Post by henk »

Nice tool.

I have done the job two times. Last time i put a speedy sleeve on it. Now two years later it's leaking again.
Now I'm trying to find a Viton seal for it, but have not found one yet. Looks like there are none for this size.
Anyone who has a tip?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Tim,

thanks for the top tip! Otherwise you should remove the front axle together with the tombstone also.

Henk,

Do you use the tractor a lot? Maybe it's caused by standing still too long?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TimMarquee »

Henk- I have seen that new aftermarket pulleys are available on a couple of UK sites, but I’m not expert enough to know whether they are for all Majors, or have been incorrectly classified as Major parts when in fact they could be Dexta parts? Mine is a FPM and as such ordered the 63.5mm seal which had probably 5mm sealing onto my pulley shaft even after it has been machined if that helps.

Mathias- The tractor is used weekly. However, having bought it as a ‘non runner’ and not knowing how long it had been stood up, I had lots of leaks to begin with. Probably from perished seals and age! It came home after A LOT of fixing at my workplace after hours around 5 weeks ago. I’ve cut 4 acres of field three times now and this is when I identified the timing case leak, and the belt pulley leak which is proving confusing as there isn’t a seal? I believe there may be an o-ring but will pull it apart to investigate further. I may still take the belt pulley off (and keep it in the shed) and blank the gearbox off as it is a working tractor for the time being (my buddy who put the crank pulley on the lathe is happy to make me a plate).

Cheers, Tim

henk

Post by henk »

mathias1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 am
Do you use the tractor a lot? Maybe it's caused by standing still too long?
Mathias,
I think you nailed it. Thats why I wont a Viton. Seems to last longer.
I don't fancy it doing the job every two or so years.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I