Foot throttle

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
billy
True Blue

Foot throttle

Post by billy »

Hi guys. Thinking of making the major slightly more user friendly on the road. I see online people are selling a foot throttle kit. Are they any good? Pics would be handy!
Thanks

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Foot throttle

Post by mathias1 »

Billy,

you will find out that the kits will need some adjustment to get them working. Worth a try.
I personally don't miss the foot throttle, the hand throttle is like cruise control for me.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Foot throttle was worth it's weight in gold when using a loader. Left hand steering, right hand hydraulic lever, foot for throttle.

maxnowell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maxnowell »

Left hand steering?? I already need three hands to steer mine with the loader on!

Brian B
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Brian B »

Interesting topic. I recently made up and installed a foot throttle on my 1956 Fordson Major using bits and pieces in my shop . . Works well & I,m happy with it. I have attempted to share pictures of the mechanism but after many attempts ,, I simply can,t figure out how to attach pictures on this forum. My apologies. I do have pictures posted on the Yesterdays Tractors Fordson discussion Forum.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

For pics see this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955.
Here's Billy's foot throttle.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Brian B
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Brian B »

Image[url=https://postiImagemages.org/]Image[/url]. Thanks Billy for your help with up-loading a picture. A couple of photos of the foot throttle I installed on my Major. Doing this modification as I have done makes it necessary to install a return spring on the throttle rod. I installed my spring behind and towards the rear of the injector pump.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks good if only a bit difficult for a sterring brake turn where you don't want to move the lever. You seem to have the early primary gear lever, from what you say about the spring it looks like you have the throttle through the block.
Billy's spring is on the manifold, as it's a rare industrial (I think) intake manifold.
Always good to see a belt pulley!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Brian B
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Brian B »

Yes , I have the throttle bell crank through the engine block. My photo is deceiving . The throttle pedal is situated in no man,s land on the foot plate.
I don,t think you could , if you wanted to ,, apply both the throttle pedal and left brake at the same time. Positioning of throttle pedal was critical during install. As a matter of fact , for that very reason I chose a small and short pedal.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You could do the throttle and LH brake but it's very difficult, if anyone does this later I recommend using a second lever as the crank for the pedal rod and main throttle rod, for use when you want to do it with your hand and don't want to disturb the position of the original lever (which sets the low revs as it has the friction disk).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

This is the linkage to the pump from a JCB3 with a Major engine, can't find the other bits. The lever on the pump had a strong return spring, and the ends from the hand and foot throttle had tubes on the end that slid over the 2 rods as far as the stops, so which ever throttle was operated its rod would push against the stop and push the lever forward, leaving the other to slide in the tube. Hope all that makes sense!
John

My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Brian B
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Brian B »

Thanks for the info and pics. John. Much appreciated.. Brian

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Beat thing i found with this setup was the ability to override the hand throttle by pressing the pedal but without adjusting the the rev setting, so as soon as i took my foot off the pedal the revs would return to where i had them set with the hand throttle, like a modern tractor
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Billy is like that too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Brian B
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Brian B »

Indeed, A very helpful bit of the design John . When releasing the foot pedal ,, RPM drops back to wherever the last position of the hand throttle setting was left . Mine operates in that manner as well. Brian