Looking for 2" wheel studs

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
DinMayer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Looking for 2" wheel studs

Post by DinMayer »

I'm replacing the wheel studs on my Fordson Major. Suppliers all seem seem to be selling only PN C5NN1N118J for this application. I bought these, but they are too long to be inserted through the hub from the back.

When attempting to insert these longer bolts into the hub, the axle's bearing housing interferes with aligning the bolt. The bolt won't feed through the stud hole at the angle forced by interference from the bearing housing.

The original wheel studs are 2" in length, not including the bolt head. The C5NN1N118J bolts are 2" 5/16" long, not including the bolt head.

Maybe I'm missing something to install these? Are others sliding the axle out to install new wheel studs?

Does anyone know where to get wheel studs in the original length?

I'm going to try using an abrasive wheel to shorten the bolt to solve the length problem. However, the un-threaded shoulder part of the bolt is also longer than the original which may cause the wheel nut to bottom on the stud shoulder before it clamps the wheel.

The shorter bolt inserts easily - the longer bolt can't be inserted into the stud holes - it hits the bearing seal housing which prevents it from being inserted.
As shown with the tape measure, the shorter bolt is about 2" 1/6, the new replacement bolt is 2" 5/16
Last edited by DinMayer on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
David in Mayer

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Looking for 2" wheel studs

Post by mathias1 »

Hello,

Welcome here. I don't know where you did order your studs, but are you sure you got the right ones? Will take a look what length mine are to let you know. According to the part list, they maybe different depending on the type of your axle. Can you make some pictures?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

DinMayer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DinMayer »

Hi mathias1, I added pictures added to original post.
Re-posted picture sources. Please let me know whether they are visible now...
Last edited by DinMayer on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
David in Mayer

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

hello Din,

must be something wrong with the pictures. I guess google doesn't allow them to be seen.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch