Major muffler

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Mr.Major
Not Quite Blue Yet

Major muffler

Post by Mr.Major »

My 1957 Major diesel has no muffler, just a straight pipe and I was concerned that running without back pressure might not be good for the engine,
Can anyone please comment?
Thanks.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: Major muffler

Post by Old Hywel »

I don’t believe that back pressure is ever necessary for an engine. Most Major silencers are straight through anyway, so no problem.
I’d be more concerned for your ears.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Running with no muffler will cause little or no trouble with a Major, unlike a coked up exhaust which is likely to cause crank case pressurisation!
I'd disagree with Hywel's when it comes to some two stroke engines, where a precise amount of back pressure may be necessary for correct scavenging and induction but I don't think I've ever encountered a major with a 2 stroke engine fitted :D :D
More important to worry about is that tiny breather pipe that runs from the rocker cover to the air filter, if blocked or restricted you will suffer from all sorts of oily sludge being exuded from wherever it can escape !
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Mr.Major
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mr.Major »

Thanks!

terry82
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by terry82 »

My '55 exhaust comes out of the back as shown in the image. I am guessing this was the original setup and any that you see with a vertical pipe were added by the owner? Personally, I like the vertical pipe but since mine has a loader on it maybe its best tucked away.

Whatever you do, put something on it or wear ear defence!

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Drove a 1953 diesel model with underslung exhaust. When carrying out slow operations like ploughing and with a following wind the exhaust fumes came straight up to the driver. Didn't realise that this was the cause of bad headaches until we changed it for an upright exhaust.

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I had a under slung exhaust with a silencer type muffler.
I removed the muffler, because it was full of crud.
The plus side of a under slung exhaust is not having to worry about ripping it off on low hanging tree branches.
The draw brack is the exhaust when you are changing implements.
Rarely are the fumes a problem when running the tractor, in my opinion.
Running with very little back pressure on a 4 stroke diesel engine won't hurt a thing.