Suspected Fuel Pump trouble

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Suspected Fuel Pump trouble

Post by edhopwood »

Once again, thanks for making the time to write such a detailed reply. This is really useful information. Thanks for spotting the spare pump on ebay- may be worth getting for spares??

*Removing Pump & Timing

I've cleaned around the timing marks and read the manual but I'm a little unclear about this matter. https://www.flickr.com/photos/189005949@N02/?
/ Should the timing marks match up before I remove pump? - I guess this would involve turning the engine
or am I looking in the wrong place and there's different marks somewhere?

I just too a look at the manual and all it says is " Remove Pump from Tractor" , I actually can't even find the bolts holding it on. It's all a learning curve though....

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

If you are going to take the pump off to have it repaired and set up then turn the engine by hand, using the fan and fan belt, until the scribe line on the pump driving flange appears. Turn the engine until the scribe line on the pump driving flange is in alignment with the scribe line on the pump timing plate that is shown in your flickr picture.

Before you disconnect any fuel pipes make sure that everything is scrupulously cleaned off.
The injection pump sits in a cradle and under the cradle are 4 bolts that screw into the bottom of the injection pump. With all pipes disconnected and all openings covered with caps or insulation tape remove the 4 bolts holding the pump to the cradle, then gently slide the pump rearwards to disengage from the timing coupling.

Make sure that the engine is not turned from the position that it is in - disconnect the battery before starting any work. After the pump has been repaired and recalibrated and phased correctly it will simply be a matter of turning the pump driving flange until the scribe line on the flange aligns with the line on the timing plate. Offer the pump up to the timing coupling and slide into place. Refit the securing bolts. Refit all pipes making sure everything is scrupulously clean. Undo the oil level/filler plug on the side of the governor housing and fill with clean engine oil up to the level of the filler. The injection timing can then be fine tuned by using the workshop manual procedure - depending on the age of the engine the timing marks will be on the crankshaft front pulley for early engines or on the flywheel for later engines. Turn the engine fractionally either way so that the front pulley or the flywheel is at the designated point then check that the scribe line on the pump driving flange is still in alignment with the flange on the timing plate - if not, loosen the two bolts in the timing coupling and turn the pump driving flange to align the scribe marks on the flange and plate then tighten the bolts up again.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edhopwood »

Okay that’s great thank you.

edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edhopwood »

Latest developments-

I’ve managed to turn engine by hand so the single marks are aligned but in doing this I’ve found another 3 equally spaced marks directly on the other side of the flange?

I now see the blindingly obvious 4 bolts on the cradle- this all makes sense now.

edhopwood
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edhopwood »

I guess those 3 lines must be for something else :|