Replacing backend gaskets

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
kevan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Replacing backend gaskets

Post by kevan »

Started to replace some of the seals and gaskets on the backend that I think need replacing, first problem, went to drain the oil and the previous owner has cross-threaded the backend drain plug, next remove brake bar that goes from left to right so I could repair that, next remove top hydraulic cover then remove plates below where oil pump is, I got the first round plate off no problem, I then taken all the bolts off around the rectangular cover but it seems to be attached to the oil pump, what do I do to remove this rectangular plate to put a new gasket in?

Kind regards,
Kevan

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Replacing backend gaskets

Post by mathias1 »

Kevan, you need to unbolt the 3 or 4 bolts from the oil pump from above, it is possible you also need to take out the pto shaft
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

kevan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kevan »

Hi Mathias,
Yes I taken the 3 bolts out from above and the plate still wouldn’t come off so I’ll try taking the PTO shaft out!

Kind regards,
Kevan.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Don’t forget to drain the front transmission first, before pulling the pto shaft.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

kevan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kevan »

Thank you Emiel,
Jobs on hold now, had to go and get my appendix out 🙄