Billy

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Billy

Post by Billy26F5 »

Hi all,
After lots of things going on, here's Billy's report!
Billy is a 1955 Fordson Major Diesel, no. 1342983, finished on (I think) 26F5 (hence my user name). Many things have changed since then, but much of him is as he left the factory. The biggest difference is the engine, he's now got a 1962 Ebro diesel industrial replacement. I'm sure it's industrial because of red on everything and the other kind of front mounting plate (subsequently modified). I would think it resembles the Mk2 engine.
Now for casting codes and similar from components bought by Ford (like injector pumps)
Front wheel RH P6L
Front wheel LH P20L
Axle housing LH 23P4
Bull pinion housing LH B16X
Bull pinion housing RH B23X
Front axle beam 14C5
A frame (Radius rod) 14C5
Gearbox C16X
Hydraulic pump pedestal 17C5
Rear axle C21X
Top cover C22X
Front casting C23X
Steering box C5
Axle housing RH D10X? not too sure about this one, could someone with a 1955 axle housing show me the code on it?
Hour counter ENM type A083794
Dynamo Lucas C39PV2 22258E 1 56
Cyl. Head (Ebro) 10 04 62
Block (Ebro) 30 11 62
Engine number (Ebro) 29238
Injector pump o06102
As Billy is pre Mk2, there's no allowance for connecting the breather to the air filter, but instead it's clamped on to the intake manifold.
The early 2 part air hose disintegrated and all that remains usable is the alloy tube and clips; hoping to get the hoses as the current one touches the bonnet. Odly, he's got the earliest radiator with the solid filler (I think it's much better than the later hose fitted type).
The temp gauge is wrong, I expect it was fitted when someone didn't understand ºF. Unfortunately it doesn't work because of iffy connections, but we're hoping to get a proper one soon,the ignition/light switch is of Ebro origin and does't quite fit either. Note the extra switches for extras now cosmetic (indicators).
The throttle arrangement on the engine is unusual, some of the original rod was used where it now goes from foot throttle (originally lever) to the cross shaft, different from the normal one. Note the modified original tap to pump fuel pipe to fit the exhauster type pump, and the custom made lift pump to filter pipe (unpainted). Also see the rags to keep him clean from injector rubber leaks (not significant but irritating if you want him clean).
The LH part of the throttle is also different. The intake manifold is also different. Note the odd fan, I have seen one on another Major not that far away. The water pump is new. The oil pressure pipe is of Ebro origin.
The foot throttle is nice, and the only difference to what I might have done is to use a second lever instead.
You can also see a most brilliant wire bracket on the top cover, not seen that anywhere else.
The exhaust pipe is a combination of downswept and vertical, unlike any other I've seen. The pre-cleaner is longer than most. The rear wheels are probably from an Ebro Super 55 or Ebro 48 (in NP grey originally).
The original top link is long gone (the current one is off an Ebro 155, 160 or similar, it's the Super Major type).
The lower links are reinforced, and fitted with extra ball joints. The implement end ball joints are so worn that washers are needed to prevent the balls coming out. The safety chain has vanished and the check chains are new. So is the levelling lever.
The drawbar is a local made attachment to hitch up the implements of the same manufacturer (J Bargans).
The headlights are repro units, the original ones have vanished. The side/rear lights are Ebro units intended on their own tractors as indicators. The rear light is re-positioned in order to light up the number plate.
The registration number is GE-960.
The radiator retains the frame for the shutters, the rest is gone. The RH grill is also an Ebro replacement

Now for what I know of his history (a lot to add when I find out about it!).
Billy came at some stage to Girona, hence the registration number. When he came he was fitted with the first type of Ebro badges (only used in 1955, replaced by ones that resembled the earliest Fordson Major type and read EBRO DIESEL; the wheatsheaf was similar but a more elaborate version) (until the Power Major era, Ebro simply re-badged Fordson Major Diesels) and their instruction plate. The id plate is gone.
and at some point his engine was changed. Some time in the 1970's, he came to his current home, brought by the previous owner of the house. The RH badge lost its "el". The picture is from the first day I actually remember the trailer in use!
Possibly before, but I think after coming here, he was repainted several times.
When we came (I wasn't actually around yet!) this is what he looked like and where he was parked.
He looked alright but actually had a few problems: loose brakes, leaking lift pump to filter pipe (the olive eventually broke off the pump end), temperamental starter motor, corroded impeller on the water pump, worn selectors and he would struggle to go round corners. The previous owner actually advised against using him but this was short lived. Most of the problems were solved pretty quickly. in the first pic this hadn't been done yet because of the puncture.
The turning problem turned out to be a broken differential pinion, blamed on the broken off RH bracket of the differential lubricator. At the same time the exhaust was turned over back to front.
and the broken remains. All the thrust washers were replaced.
This is where I appeared. I've known Billy all my life, and he is the one responsible for my interest in machines!
The selector plate came off later. I think the oil might want changing soon!
Another one from the first day I actually remember the trailer in use.
The starter motor was repaired soon afterwards. Davie was here by this time.
A friend got him in to the barn for the first time. only an inch or so either side!
The lights were fitted and the brakes were brought much tighter with the then newly bought jack.
Super Billy appeared. This was very short lived, as the big end was already bad by then (it had been ever since we got him).
He was parked in his current position by Billy (sorry, no pics as I didn't do that yet and the other two were driving).
The cleaning began soon afterwards, and continues to this day. Here's some more recent work (and not so recent).
Hope you can enjoy this.
Sandy
Last edited by Billy26F5 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Billy

Post by henk »

Great story Billy. :clap:

At least the tractor kept his colour over the years. :D
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Billy is the tractor!
The colour isn't quite right, but there's NP grey here and there underneath.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Block (Ebro) 30 11 62
Engine number (Ebro) 29238
Small extra, I forgot to put this in in the summer.
Sandy
ImageImageImage