Oil leak?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil leak?

Post by bigsky »

OK, I read something on this while searching for another question, and now cannot find it. I have oil leaking out of the top of my gear box. There is a bolt that has breather type holes in it. Rt side under battery holder. I took it off and cleaned it good to see if that would stop the leak, but it is still leaking. Any ideas? Thanks, Rick

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Bigsky,

The gearbox is not located under the battery holder. Could it be the steering house is leaking oil?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigsky »

No, it is in the top of the gear box. It's a long headed bolt that has a couple small holes. The oil is coming up through the holes as though it is building pressure. Is there another breather somewhere?

JC

Post by JC »

I found the post you were looking for.
Brian wrote:To the bolt that holds the battery box support bracket to the top of the gearbox. You will also find that one of these bolts has a long head, this is the gearbox breather.
Could it have too much oil in it? What does the dip stick say?

bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigsky »

I just drained and replaced oil. It has a hi/lo fill mark, right where you put oil in. I have a sevice and operator manual coming Wed. Hopefully I can find out whats going on.

JC

Post by JC »

I had never paid much attention to that breather before. I finally found some time to look at my tractors today. Three of them don't have the breather at all, one has it screwed in to the steering box, and only the Super 6 has it in the right place.
I guess that checking the dipstick wouldn't do any good since it vents the front gear box, and not the differential. I wonder if there's supposed to be a deflector, of some sort, to keep oil from being flung out of the breather.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hi Rick my major leaks oil when hot from where the steering box joins gearbox,( replaced gasket but same problem) i had a look to find the breather bolt you mentioned and found it was in the wrong hole, have changed them around so hopfully this will cure my problem.
if yoy are only losing oil from breather then you must be getting a big build up of pressure. does oil leak anywhere else on gearbox?

bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigsky »

I just got this Power Major. It was leaking there when I picked it up, I went through and changed all the oils. It still leaks while operating. I pulled off the bolt, cleaned it up and put it back on. It still leaks. Don't know what could be building up the pressure. When I changed oils, the differ/hydraulic was overfull and gearbox was under full. I think it is building pressure and pushing through the seal between them. So far the oils are staying at right level, but I haven't used it that much yet.

bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigsky »

Can anyone tell me what to check? I just cannot figure out why it is leaking oil out the breather bolt. Any help???? :cry:

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

hi bigsky,

is your breather mounted on the left or right side from the tractor?
try this:fit ot on the other side,and then test it a while.when i`m
right it must be on the left side.try it.

mbg jan

bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigsky »

I'll try it tomorrow. It is on the right side as I sit on tractor now. Thanks

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

Hi Bigsky,

As i sit on the tractor my breather is in the front left bolt hole.

I hope that this solves you're problems....
Regards Chris
Stay True Keep Blue!

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

hi bigsky

what´s whith your oilleak?

mbg jan

bigsky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigsky »

I took the bolt out and put on the other side, LT side. But it has been to cold around here to get it out. Hopefully in the next couple days it will warm up. Thanks

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

hi bigsky

here in germany the winter is back too.no chance to do something
outdoors.the work on my tvo major is also slow,because the sheed
have no heating.
mbg jan