Super major hydraulics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Moldy84
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super major hydraulics

Post by Moldy84 »

Hi everyone. My super major has stopped lifting 3pl arms up. It got left unused for a two year period usually in use once a year. Now it won’t lift. Where do I start
Also had to be hot wired this year as it didn’t have ignition

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super major hydraulics

Post by Billy26F5 »

The first thing I'd look at is the filter at the bottom. drain the rear axle (10 gal) and remove the plate with four bolts. remove the two bolts immediately ahead as they're magnetic filters.
Clean everything and refit, if it still doesn't work you'll have to lift the top cover. This all assumes that you've remembered to engage the PTO.
Disengage the PTO, lift the top cover and turn the PTO by hand, oil should flow, if you plug the hole you should notice the increase in pressure. If not then the problem could be the pump or the drive gear key sheared. Note if you have raised PTO: you'll have to engage the raised PTO lever and disengage the std PTO lever for the hand test, for normal hydraulic use you want the std PTO engaged and the raised PTO disengaged.
If there is pressure your most likely problem is a seized unloading valve plug, on the cylinder casting (sorry no pic, hope someone else can post one).
Let us know how you do!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Moldy84
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Super major hydraulics

Post by Moldy84 »

Thanks I will let u know may take me a while to get to it but a least I now have some idea where to start 😉