NP SUPER CYLINDER HEAD QUESTION

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
liam
True Blue

NP SUPER CYLINDER HEAD QUESTION

Post by liam »

Hi all ,Ive just bought an np super ,engine number is 08C 964130 which makes it June 63,however it does not have FL stamped on the head. The date on the manifold side of the head is unreadable .the codes on the right are EIADDN-6050-G and below that is J3167. Is this an older head or a head that is newer than 63 and possibly a service exchange part .Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: NP SUPER CYLINDER HEAD QUESTION

Post by mathias1 »

As far as i know, all NP did have the FL head, this head has different type of springs
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your head is pre NP, so you'll have the same power as a Super Major, not an NP as the extra power comes from the improved intake passages in the FL head. If the head is stamped Ebro it's more difficult to know, as although Ebro did improve the air flow for the Super 55, they never stamped the heads FL. The heavy valve springs appeared on 1609839.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

The FL head was introduced in 1961, together with a new type of camshaft.
It's worth looking at your camshaft, since mine was in a bad shape. If the lobes are worn, the ports won't go open as far as when the engine was new.

the part number is probably 6052-G, according to the parts list this is
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

FL head was not introduced until 08C-960337.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi

The so called "FL" head was introduced along with the minimec pump in May 1962 at engine/tractor number 08B756398, it was fitted for a full year before the "New Performance" tractor appeared. In fact many people when presented with an earlier blue/orange tractor painted blue/grey believe they must have a NP model because it has the minimec pump and FL head, and some unscrupulous sellers try to con gullible buyers into believing that! The NP tractor had big changes to the PTO drive gearbox and main gearbox incorporating new ratios and massively strengthened castings and gears, also hydraulic improvements - it didn't just have a colour change! The NP engine was identical to the previous minimec pump equipped model, but for publicity purposes so as to give the impression of increased power Ford simply quoted the power output of the engine at 1700 rpm as 53.7hp, previously the power output was quoted as 51.8hp at 1600 rpm. Contrary to claims made by the great and good in their otherwise excellent books on Ford tractors there were no changes to the P4596 minimec pump on the NP model as opposed to the previous blue/orange model, the pump is absolutely identical in physical construction and governor and maximum speed settings of 1800 rpm, and the fuelling calibration of 12.8 to 13.2 cc per 200 shots at 600 rpm pump speed is the same for all engines, blue/orange or NP.

In July 1961 at engine/tractor number 1609839 a new camshaft with different cam forms was fitted, and at the same time there were machining changes to the head to allow for the fitting of stronger valve springs. The new springs were black in colour and had 7.5 coils with a free length of 2.31 inches, and were bigger in diameter needing larger spring retainers. Early springs were silver grey in colour and had 8.8 coils and a free length of 2.48 inches.

If your engine has had a head change without the "FL" marking it is important to check it is the type with the later black valve springs because with an engine number of 08C964130 it will have the latest camshaft requiring the new stronger valve springs. If that checks out I don't think you will have any issues, but if it is an earlier head with the earlier valve springs I would try to find a correct replacement.
Last edited by shepp on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

According to service letters, only the six cylinder engine recieved the FL head in 1962, in line with the MK2 Thames Trader. The four cylinder engines recieved it a year later, to coincide with the NP Super Major. The FL head has a swirling intake air flow that previous head's didn't. This improved efficiency and therefore increased power output. The NP minimec is the same as the previous one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi Sandy

Absolutely not the case!

The FL head was fitted in May 1962 to the 592E engine the same time as the minimec pump was introduced. There may have been an odd few tractors crept out with the minimec and not the FL head, but I have never come across any, every example I have seen has both, There are still plenty of 1962 blue/orange Supers to be seen at the shows fitted with FL heads and minimec pumps, and in years long past I have bought and sold several of them.
As I say, unscrupulous sellers try to con people that repainted blue/orange Supers are NP models just because they are now blue/grey and have FL heads and minimec pumps. If you look on eBay you will see such "Jack the lads" showing pictures of the FL casting on tractors now blue/grey but which are clearly earlier blue/orange Supers with no drop control valve, long bonnet badge both sides, cast front wheels , small diameter pto gearbox housing etc etc.

The FL head was claimed to have intake port changes , but you will only come across any reference to this in one particular Ford truck service bulletin released for the 6 cylinder 590E truck engine. This bulletin does not say that there are no changes to the four cylinder 592E engine, it simply refers to the 6 cylinder engine. Personally I am dubious of the claim, the FL head coincided with a change of foundry where the heads were cast and my own view is that the FL mark is simply a foundry mark. Apart from the particular service bulletin mentioned, you will not come across any reference anywhere to heads marked FL - not in the official workshop manuals, not in any publicity or advertising material. No increase in power was claimed for the 592E tractor engine fitted with this head and the minimec pump, it was still the same at 51.8hp at 1600rpm as the previous mark 3 engine fitted with vacuum governed pump and unmarked head. When the NP tractor was introduced the real "New Performance" came from the revised PTO, gearbox and rear axle ratio changes, in particular the revised PTO ratio change to 540 rpm at the PTO at an engine speed of 1483 rpm as opposed to the previous engine speed of 1200rpm allowed the engine to deliver more of the power it already had. The strengthening of the PTO and main gearbox castings and gears on the NP model was to eliminate failures that were being encountered in these components in the previous models.
However, Ford realised that if they were to be launching the new model then it would be better marketing publicity if they could claim an increase in engine horsepower, so they simply quoted the horsepower of the engine at 1700rpm as being 53.7hp, previously they had quoted the horsepower as being 51.8hp at 1600 rpm. In fact the earlier vacuum governed Super and Power Major engines would have delivered around 53.7 HP at 1700 rpm! The claimed increase in power of the NP engine did NOT come about due to any changes in the engine - head, pump or otherwise - it came about by simply re- stating the speed that the power was delivered at.
Playing about with stated rated engine speeds to claim increased power output was a favourite trick of manufacturers at the time, Massey Ferguson did it with the MF 35X when they increased the rated engine speed to 2250 rpm on this model claiming 44 hp as opposed to 2000 rpm on the previous 3 cylinder 35 claiming 39.5 HP. Ford followed suit with the NP Super Dexta by also increasing the rated engine speed to 2250 rpm claiming 44 HP as opposed to 2000 rpm claiming 39.5 HP on the previous blue/orange Super Dexta. In fact, for both the 35X/35, and the NP/earlier Super Dexta, the engine speeds that delivered 540 rpm at the PTO remained the same at 1500 rpm for the 35X/35 and 1800 rpm for the NP/earlier Super Dexta. This meant that the 35X delivered exactly the same PTO horsepower at 540 rpm as the 3 cylinder 35 did, and the NP Super Dexta delivered exactly the same PTO horsepower at 540 rpm as the earlier Super Dexta did!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

ImageImageImage

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Thanks for all the info Shepp, Saw another np super today which has FL on the head and the same part number as mine 6050 G .I Would imagine the head on mine is changed many years ago if it is a replacement. The tractor is in lovely original condition with excellent original tinwork and very little wear anywhere.The engine runs lovely and doesnt seem to have any issues that I can see.I will take off the rocker cover and look at the springs when I can .If I can find a good FL head then I will fit it just to keep it original. Thanks everyone for you help. Liam.

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi Sandy and Liam

Yes Sandy I saw this posting some years ago and this is the one that I thought referred to Ford service letters, but having read it again I do not think these are Ford service letters that are quoted or abbreviated. Bear in mind that at that time, 1950's/1960's, magazines such as Commercial Motor used to produce their own service bulletins, often as pullouts, which were possibly based on manufacturers publications but often summarised and some months behind the times. Also from the numbering there appears to be about 1 "service letter " a month produced between the first quoted and the last one quoted, this is extraordinarily high for official Ford service letters but would fit in with a monthly publication that might include service updates on many makes of vehicle. The details quoted are particularly " woolly". Also details quoted in the first appear to be repeated in the last - why? As I say, a bit " woolly". Without seeing these letters in detail no definite conclusions can be drawn.
The first letter refers to a new cylinder block to accommodate the minimec pump, we know from the official workshop manual that the 4 cyl block was modified at 1613500 August 1961 ready for the fitting of the minimec. Also from the official manual case hardened inlet and exhaust valve retainers with a diagonal knurled finish and hardened rotator caps treated with a black anti friction compound were fitted at 08 B756400 May 1962. The new composite cylinder head gasket was fitted at 1565580 August 1960. The alleged changes to the inlet porting on heads marked FL are reported as "6 cylinder only" by the correspondent, but the " service letter" quoted may have simply said " the 6 cylinder engine received changes to the inlet ports..." without saying anything about the 4 cylinder engine so the correspondent assumed it was the 6 cylinder engine only.
Do you not think would be strange if some improved design of porting had been developed then it would only have been incorporated on 6 cylinder heads to begin with? The 4 cylinder engine was also fitted to Thames Traders so you would expect any performance boost to apply to both engines. Also do you not think it is extremely strange that if there was such a significant improvement to the head then you would expect it to be referred to in the official workshop manuals like all the other head/valve changes are described? Yet there is no reference, not in the official manual nor in any of the spurious manuals such as I & T. Nor is there any reference to injector changes, only 2 types of nozzle are reported as having ever been fitted.

Casting of the blocks for the 4 and 6 cylinder engines was farmed out in March 1964 to the Sterling Metals foundry, which had a reputation for high quality castings. This allowed the Dagenham foundry to prepare for the production of the D series truck with it' s new 220, 330 and 360 engines, also to prepare for the production of castings for the new 6X tractors to be built at Basildon. This also allowed assembly of industrial versions of the old 6 cylinder 590 E engine to continue at Dagenham after mid 1964 until 1967 and industrial versions of the 4 cylinder 592E engine to continue until 1970, using components that were bought in from outside suppliers and merely assembled at Dagenham. These engines had heads marked FL. This reinforces my thoughts that the FL marking is a foundry marking when casting of the heads was changed from Dagenham to an outside foundry in 1962 as the casting of blocks was later on in 1964. From 1970 to 1974 Ford sold Ebro produced versions of the 4 cylinder engine as it' s own industrial engine, and from 1974 on engines had to be sourced from Ebro.

I have spoken to a couple of friends who are Fordson fanatics and who have blue/orange tractors with minimec pumps and FL heads, and it appears that I am mistaken to believe that the FL head appeared at the same time as the minimec, apparently the head was later in 1962 and there were quite a number of tractors produced in 1962 with the minimec but not the FL marked head. Next time I am able to visit I will take pictures of the heads and serial numbers. I was relying on the experience of the tractors that I have owned.

Liam, as I said if you have the later valve springs in your head you should be OK, problems only really arise with combinations of earlier camshafts and later heads with the heavier valve springs.

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Hi Shepp, well I had a look at the head today and it has heavier springs with a black finish and the valve retainers have a knurled finish ,however if i can find an FL head then I will fit it for the sake of originality, Thanks for your help ,Liam.

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Having researched a bit, the story about head porting changes comes from Commercial Motor article dated 1 June 1962, called " Thames Traders reach Mark 11 stage". This article reports that a previous CM article in February 1962 said that the 4 cylinder engine would be fitted with the minimec pump but both the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl engines will now be fitted with minimec pumps. Other modifications are stronger cylinder liners (2 ring), redesigned timing gears, new exhaust valves and stronger valve springs - all covered in the official Ford tractor workshop manual with relevant dates earlier than this article. The article also says ...."cylinder head modifications have been made to both 4 and 6 cylinder engines, one of these to the porting is claimed to reduce exhaust smoke." There is NO mention of FL. NOTE! - THIS IS WELL BEFORE THE NP SUPER MAJOR WAS INTRODUCED, the article would have been written sometime in May 1962. Also it is well before heads with the FL marking started to appear. This is where I think Commercial Motor went wrong on this last point, machining modifications were made to the cylinder heads to allow the fitting of the bigger valve springs and their retainers, but this was in 1961, as I said before Commercial Motor was a bit behind the times! I believe they have confused the machining changes to allow the bigger valve springs with porting changes, which did not happen.

As time has gone on other sites such as Everything About Boats have perpetuated the myth with information they have acquired third hand from other sources, and FL has crept into the mix, due to a wrong assumption as the casting of the heads was transferred from Dagenham to another foundry later in 1962 and the FL mark appeared at this point, but this was not linked to porting
changes it was due to the foundry change.

29/08/2020. I have read the 1 June article again and also the article in the February 23 1962 edition which relates to the new Thames normal control truck which only had the 4 cylinder engine and which is to be fitted with the minimec pump and also the test report on the new Thames normal control truck. The article says that the new stronger valve springs ( which we know were fitted to the 4 cylinder engine in 1961) step up the valve bounce period to 4000 rpm. When you get valve bounce it means that valves do not have time to properly seat before the next cycle in the combustion process, this causes incorrect air mixtures for the fuel injected resulting in inefficient combustion and smoke. It is the new stronger valve springs and their new retainers that contributed to a reduction in smoke. Machining changes were carried out to the cylinder heads to accommodate the new springs and retainers. In fact earlier straight port heads can be machined to accept the new springs and retainers. Of course the 4 cylinder tractor engine was governed to 1800 rpm maximum speed so should not have suffered too much from valve bounce anyway. This is where Commercial Motor confused the issue. When you read all the official Ford announcements and adverts for the new Thames normal control truck and for the Mark II Thames forward control trucks there is no mention of changes to the cylinder head porting. I am more convinced than ever that the FL marking is simply the foundry mark of the foundry that casting of the heads was transferred to from Dagenham later in 1962, the Dagenham foundry had a massive and increasing work load at that time and with the new D series engines under development and the imminent arrival of the 6 X tractors it was logical to outsource more of the castings for engines that were soon to be replaced. As I said, assembly of the old style engines continued at Dagenham after mid 1964 until 1970 in the case of the 4 cylinder engine using all bought in components including FL marked heads, the new foundry obviously continued to produce the heads for Ford until 1970.

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Hi
I have a Fordson Service Bulletin #116, dated January 9, 1964 from Ford Tractor and Implement Operations (US).

Production Point: Tractor Serial No. O8C-960337.
The following information covers the changes to the PTO, transmission, double clutch, engine, proof-meter, and hydraulic system of the New Performance Fordson Super Major Tractors.

ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD
With the introduction of the New Performance Super Major, some redesigning of the cylinder head has taken place around the inlet ports to improve the induction breathing.
The new cylinder head and valve guide assembly is serviced under Part No. EIADDN-6052-J and may be identified by both the part number and the letters "FL" which are cast on the head.
This is the only head and valve guide assembly which is to be fitted to a New Super Major (i.e., after Serial No. 08C-960337) but it may also be fitted to previous Major engines after Serial No. 1425097.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That is the reason for the NP Super Major having more power.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi

All heads marked with the FL casting marking will have the improved bigger valve springs and their retainers because these came in at engine 1609839 in July 1961 together with a new stronger camshaft. Machining changes were made at this time to the cylinder head for the inlet valves to allow the fitting of larger seats for the larger valve springs to sit on. Machining changes did NOT have to be made to fit larger seats for the larger springs to the exhaust valves as there was sufficient machined room on the head to accommodate them already. These machining changes are what are mistakenly referred to as changes to the inlet porting. There were no changes to the inlet porting either then or when casting of the heads was transferred out of Dagenham and the FL foundry marking appeared.

Furthermore, the official Ford workshop manual states on the subject of the stronger valve springs that " ......the new springs may be identified by their black mottled finish whereas previous parts had a silver grey appearance. It is ESSENTIAL that the stronger springs are only fitted to tractors after serial number 1609839 or to earlier tractors where the latest type of camshaft had been fitted". This statement is completely at odds with the information contained in this quoted service letter, which says that the head part number E1ADDN 6052 J and marked FL can be fitted to all engines after 1425097 which was the introduction of the mark II engine with inline inlet and exhaust ports. So who is right? - if the early lighter camshaft prior to engine 1609839 is put up against the later stronger valve springs then disaster looms!

Liam says in his posting of August 17 that he saw another NP with an FL marked head and the SAME part number as his head 6052 G. ( not 6052 J), but his head is NOT marked FL!! But his head DOES have the later black valve springs and the knurled retainers!

As I have said, later 1962 blue/orange Super Majors were fitted with heads marked FL, when I am able to take some pictures of such tractors with their serial numbers and FL marked heads I will post them. Perhaps then people will become convinced!!!

The service letter quoted is clearly WRONG on the subject of fitting the latest head with the heavier valve springs to engines before 1609839 and I believe it is wrong on the subject of porting changes to the inlet valve ports. This is possibly the " service letter" from which all this confusion has arisen. I have checked both the last published official Ford tractor workshop manual incorporating the NP Super Major and also the last published official Ford workshop manual for the Thames Trader incorporating the Mark II models, there is no mention of either changes to the inlet valve porting or to heads marked FL. Furthermore, the tractor by this time was described as a Ford 5000 in the USA, so why does this supposed service letter from Ford tractor operations USA describe the tractor as a New Performance Super Major? All very odd and not to be relied upon! Can we have a full picture of this document to look at?

The FL marking is a foundry marking., nothing more. The heads marked FL are physically identical to the head introduced at 1609839, the only difference is the FL foundry mark.

Sandy, the reason why the NP engine was stated to have more power is because the power was quoted at a rated engine speed of 1700 rpm and not at 1600 rpm as for the previous tractor, nothing more, nothing less!! Look at the power curves for the earlier Super Major and the NP model, they say every picture tells a story! Not only were we using these tractors on the farms at the time when they were current, we were also buying and selling them.

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Hi

I have serviceletter from Ford in US number 61 in 1959 and uptil number 123 in 1964.

I don't know how to put documents onto the forum, but send me your e-mail as a privat message, and I can forward it to you

It is not my intention to argue one way or another, I just have some service letters I dont hope to be fake

Regards Kjetil

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Kjetil has very kindly emailed a copy of the USA Fordson service bulletin 116, dated 9 January 1964. This is a genuine service bulletin document and the first thing to say is that this is a service information update and not a product information update. Service updates necessarily follow on quite some time after a product has been changed or updated, are often a cumulative update of changes that have occurred over a period of time and not just at a single time point, and in this particular case the bulletin is dated 9 January 1964, over 8 months after the launch of the NP tractor and over a year after the appearance of heads marked "FL". Some of the information in it refers to pre NP changes, Ford was constantly making changes and improvements to it's designs.

It is a fairly comprehensive bulletin and covers the changes to the NP tractor very much in their order of importance, being 1) Power Take Off, 2) Transmission, 3) Double Clutch, 4) Proof Meter,
5) Hydraulic system. These items cover five pages of script and a separate page of a cross section of the redesigned transmission. Changes to the engine are point 6) and consist of a single short paragraph at the end of page 5 and a line on page 6, almost an afterthought really, which is how it was, engine changes basically consisted of increasing the rated engine speed from 1600 rpm to 1700 rpm

In my view the bulletin does not challenge what I have said, and I will quote it with my capital letters inserted for emphasis: " With the introduction of the New Performance Super Major some redesigning of the cylinder head has taken place AROUND (!!!) the inlet ports to improve the induction breathing. The new cylinder head and VALVE GUIDE assembly is SERVICED under part number E1ADDN-6052-J and may be identified by both the part number and the letters "FL" which are cast on the head".
Firstly these changes had occurred well before the arrival of the NP tractor and the appearance of heads marked "FL".The bulletin does NOT say that the INLET PORTS were redesigned, it says the area AROUND the inlet ports. The area AROUND the INLET VALVE GUIDES which is also AROUND the inlet ports was redesigned in July 1961 at engine number 1609839 to allow the fitting of larger spring seats for the larger and stronger valve springs. The area AROUND the exhaust valve guides and exhaust ports did NOT have to be redesigned as there was already sufficient room for the larger exhaust spring seats. These stronger valve springs IMPROVED INDUCTION BREATHING by reducing valve bounce which reduces the volume of clean air drawn in.

The part number for this redesigned head was changed to E1ADDN-6052-G at that time July 1961. Previous part numbers for diesel heads were E1ADDN-6052- D for mark 1 engines 1952 to 1954, E1ADDN-6052-E for mark 1 engines 1954 onwards, and E1ADDN-6052-F for mark 2 and mark 3 engines up to July 1961.

We know from what Liam has told us that his engine has a head with the part number. E1ADDN-6052-G and this head has the stronger black valve springs introduced at 1609839 AND the later valve retainers with a knurled finish that were introduced at engine number 08B756400. Liam's head is NOT marked "FL", however Liam reports that he has examined another NP tractor with the SAME part number E1ADDN-6052-G but which DOES have the " FL" marking. If there had been ANY change to the cylinder head when the "FL" marking appeared the part number would have changed as well!!

This confirms what I believe to be the case, that at some point during the production run of heads with part number E1ADDN-6052-G casting of the heads was transferred from Dagenham to an outside foundry and "FL" is the foundry stamp. All later blue/orange Super Majors were fitted with heads marked "FL". What might have happened with Liam's tractor, which would have left the factory with an " FL" marked head, is that a new head was required for some reason( such as a dropped valve) possibly early in it's life, and a stock cylinder head possibly from Ford Central Parts Division if not from a dealer was supplied which was not marked "FL" but which is otherwise IDENTICAL to and with an identical part number of E1ADDN-6052-G to the original "FL" marked head. The fact that this head is fitted with the later spring retainers introduced at 08B756400 as well as the later stronger valve springs would support that theory

The SERVICE part number E1ADDN-6052-J quoted was the last head part number used, the head itself was identical to the previous head E1ADDN-6052-G but with slightly different (shorter?) valve guides. The service bulletin is dated 9 January 1964 and this part number was the current part number at that time having superceded E1ADDN-6052-G sometime after NP production started so it is correct to say use this assembly for SERVICE replacement on the New Super Major. ALL E1ADDN-6052-J heads had the "FL" marking whereas only the LATER E1ADDN-6052G heads had the "FL" marking. However, although the letter is correct to say that this service head CAN be fitted to previous mark 2 and mark 3 engines after serial number 1425097, it SHOULD ALSO have said that the latest type camshaft MUST be fitted to these engines at the same time!! That is what the UK official workshop manual emphasises. With regard to the earlier mark 1 engine heads with staggered ports, a single SERVICE head was provided after stock of the original heads had been exhausted, this covered heads with both "D" and "E" suffix parts numbers and was numbered E1ADDN-6052-S.

Kjetil is going to look through his earlier USA service letters when he has the time and hopefully we can compare what information is in them with what the official UK workshop manuals say, and compare the timescales as well. Hopefully I can take some pictures of heads and serial numbers soon to complete the circle.