Where to source a new radiator for our Major?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Heartless
Not Quite Blue Yet

Where to source a new radiator for our Major?

Post by Heartless »

We are in the USA, so buying from Agriline would involve some pretty serious shipping charges...

Need radiator, new filler neck, and should probably get a new cap, too.. while we are at it, for a 1954 Major Diesel

Had topped up the radiator couple of weeks ago.. I ran it some - maybe 5-6 hrs.. and then it sat most of last week as it was way too hot & humid for me to be out there doing much (health issues).

doing oil change today and decided to check coolant level while i was up there, and it was low again.. and looking the inside of the radiator over, there are a couple of spots that like kind of like they have leaked.. one spot has obvious fin damage.. cant really see the other side to well with grill and loader stuff in the way.
figuring at 66 yrs old, maybe it should just be replaced for optimum cooling - and be good for another 60+ yrs.

not to mention the filler neck has obviously been patched up more times than a 3yr olds favorite stuffed animal..

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Where to source a new radiator for our Major?

Post by mathias1 »

I would suggest to find a company that recores radiators. They can make it like new and deliver better quality than the after market suppliers.
I did ask a quote a few years back and it was about the same price as a new one.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Are you sure it all came out of the radiator? If not the radiator should be all right if you keep an eye on it. If you have the solid filler
there are no replacements available. A re-core would be better, you'll need 10 fins per inch.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Heartless
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Heartless »

Thanks guys.. I will look into finding a place to re-core..

not sure where exactly the coolant went to, but I do know it was not in the oil pan.. which is a good thing, lol
the oil - aside from being blacker than night - was fine.. no signs of any contamination

We do have a new temp sensor/gauge coming for it, and will get that put in asap but yeah, the loss of coolant, where ever it is going, is concerning.
supposed to be rather wet most of the coming week, so she probably wont be seeing any run time again..

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

My radiator leaked in a lot of places. The local shop wanted 700 for a re core.
I did not check any other shops.
Purchased from Agriline for 120 plus 30 for shipping to the USA.
Can't say how quality is as I have not really worked it hard.
Also bought radiator for my 3600 and so far it's been fine with haying.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Heartless
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Heartless »

thanks for the info, leeroy.. looking at Agriline, they want over $400 for a new replacement, and from the looks of it, there is no filler neck attached...
or did you get a used one?

anyway.. quick update.. other half topped up the rad and said it barely took any at all to get it back up to where it should be.. so not losing a lot, but still needs to be sorted out..

will be checking all hose connections for signs of leaking.. make sure clamps are snug, etc.. when it stops raining.. ugh.

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Hello Heartless,
It was a new radiator, and I just looked on Agriline and the different radiators for the Major, Power Major, and Super Major are between 130 and 160 lbs. I am probably missing something here?
My water pump leaked badly and also what I think was head gasket leaking coolant into cylinder- just more possible coolant leaks to look for fyi.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

There are four Major radiators. The first type has the solid filler (this is part of the radiator) and ten fins per inch. The second type has the hose filler and ten fins per inch. The third type has the hose filler and five fins per inch, mounting holes 18 1/8" apart, from 1425097. The fourth type has the hose filler and five fins per inch, mounting holes 10 1/4" apart, from 08B-767403. None of these are interchangeable without problems, only the last two are currently available. So a re-core is the only way to keep your original configuration.
Sandy
ImageImageImage