What on earth is on my suction screen?!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JGLea
Not Quite Blue Yet

What on earth is on my suction screen?!

Post by JGLea »

I have removed the suction screen as its been sat for a while and water has got in and emulsified the oil, i only bought it a week or so ago. I have dropped the bottom plate off and looked on it and all these red plastic looking shavings are all over it... Where have these come from?? Any ideas? I have never owned a super major so its not blindingly obvious to me where it is from...
See images attached
https://imgur.com/a/r6pXHAL

Hopefully that link works. Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: What on earth is on my suction screen?!

Post by Billy26F5 »

I have no idea what that could have come from, all I can be sure of is that the rear axle needs cleaning. Try offering up a magnet to see if the shavings will be attracted to it. If not my only conclusion is that someone forgot to clean it the last time they opened the axle.
You'll need to straighten your strainer with a bar.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

liquid gasket remainings?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Can`t see the pictures, but don`t be too worried about the oil being emulsified in the back axle its a common occurance in majors and is caused by condensation. As long as you don`t find too much evidence of metal shards or silver coloured sludge in the bottom when you clean it out just refill with fresh oil and it should be good to go for several more years. Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.