Bull pinion shaft seal and bearing size

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JGLea
Not Quite Blue Yet

Bull pinion shaft seal and bearing size

Post by JGLea »

Hi all, I have a collapsed bearing on the LH side bull pinion shaft. I haven’t completely taken it apart and am wondering if anybody knows what size the seal and bearing are. Tah
Josh

JGLea
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Bull pinion shaft seal and bearing size

Post by JGLea »

Also has anybody had any experience in recreating a shim or managing to find one to procure online or elsewhere?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Super major or normal major?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

JGLea
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JGLea »

It’s a NP Super Major late 1963

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If it's the bull pinion bearing, you shouldn't need shims, I think there's a page with the sizes somewhere on here, but you should be able to find the bearing by the size code stamped on it (RLS-7 on the front auxiliary shaft for example). As for the seal, was it leaking? If a new one isn't easy to get and the old one doesn't leak you "might" get away with reusing the old one, but consider that the last option.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JGLea
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JGLea »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:36 pm
If it's the bull pinion bearing, you shouldn't need shims, I think there's a page with the sizes somewhere on here, but you should be able to find the bearing by the size code stamped on it (RLS-7 on the front auxiliary shaft for example). As for the seal, was it leaking? If a new one isn't easy to get and the old one doesn't leak you "might" get away with reusing the old one, but consider that the last option.
Sandy
Hi Sandy, there is a shim for the bull pinion shaft housing. This holds it away from the back end casing. The bearing itself has sent parts of the inner race and around half the balls into the back end case, I haven’t removed the rest of the bearing so I can’t read any stamps as of yet. The inner race is in bits so I won’t be able to read anything on that.

This damaged around half the gears on the bull pinion shaft and the oil baffle in-front of it. Luckily it hasn’t damaged the final drive gear or anything else. I’ve bought a second hand replacement I just need the bearing and oil seal, I’ve got the oil seal off gently so it might be okay. It wasn’t leaking when it was taken off. It’s just a job I may as well do when I’m there. However, if they’re hard to find I’ll try re use it cheers

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It sounds like quite a big breakage, I recommend you change the oil and clean the whole area thoroughly.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Oil seal is Agriline part number 6796, described as brake shaft seal. Shims not available but shim sheet is available in various imperial thicknesses from good engineering suppliers or on EBay. You should be able to tap them out as when making a gasket. Original shims were 3 thou and 5 thou. Gasket paper is also listed on Ebay , you could make and try a number of paper gaskets to set the clearance. You will have to take the bearing out and measure it with a micrometer to get the inner and outer diameters and race width, it will be a standard tapered roller bearing. If I find out anything more I will post it.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Just to clarify matters, are you talking about the taper roller bearing that has the inner race and cage mounted on the end of the differential case within the rear axle and has the outer race in the end of the bull pinion shaft housing? Or are you meaning the ball bearing that is within the bull pinion shaft housing? With you saying that debris had got into the rear axle and damaged the bull pinion shaft I was assuming it was the taper roller bearing.

If it is the ball bearing within the bull pinion shaft housing then all you need to do is fit a new bearing to your replacement bull pinion shaft and a new oil seal to the housing and reassemble using the existing shim package that was taken out. The taper roller bearing inner race and rollers will not have changed and the outer race in the end of the bull pinion shaft housing will not have changed, so on reassembly everything should go back to how it was originally set up, i.e. the pre-load on the taper roller bearings on both sides and the pinion to crown wheel backlash. You can get the correct bearing from the diameter of the bull pinion shaft and the diameter and width of the outer race after you have removed it from the bull pinion shaft housing.

If it is the taper roller bearing that has to be replaced then there is the potential for a new shim set up to be required to adjust the pinion to crown wheel backlash.
However this does not mean that you will need more shims. The total shim package combined of both sides must be 0.016 inches or 16 thou for correct pre-load of the bearings, and as the shims are 3 thou and 5 thou this means that there are two 3 thou shims and two 5 thou shims used in total on the existing set up. After fitting a new taper roller bearing shims may need to be moved from the right hand bull pinion housing to the left hand or vice versa to achieve a backlash of 0.004 to 0.018 inches between the pinion and the crown wheel.

So if it is the ball bearing in the housing that has collapsed it is an easy job and no set up is required. If it is the taper roller bearing that needs replacing then potentially you will have to set up the pinion to crown wheel backlash. In either case you will not require any additional shims - however they are currently set up there will be two 3 thou and two 5 thou shims in total used for both sides combined, it will be a case of getting the right combination of shims on each side.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.