oil splashed out air filter/pre cleaner

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
leeroy
True Blue

oil splashed out air filter/pre cleaner

Post by leeroy »

Early FMD. Dynamo does not work so we just keep trickle charger on battery. Wanted to keep spending to minimum until we knew it was worth it.
Starts easy so not much of an issue.
Two days ago while loading manure, it was parked on slight grade so I decided to bump start. 4th gear barely moving and she would start right up.
Did this 3 or 4 times figuring it would save the battery.
Yesterday it didnt start by rolling and oil splashed out. My son thought it was just from the shaking of letting clutch out, but I'm not so sure.
The only difference was two days ago it was a light load of dry compost on the spreader, yesterday was heavy moist manure, so maybe holding me back from roll starting. No stuck valves and seems to be running good.
Please let me know if/where I should be concerned.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: oil splashed out air filter/pre cleaner

Post by Billy26F5 »

Are you sure you were in fourth and not reverse? I don't think violence will cause it to spill through the intake. Your pump might be of the earliest kind (SPE-4A 70S 295) if so check that it's stamped B behind the pump serial (on the cambox beneath the inspection cover), otherwise it might want to run backwards.
Check the brushes, as that might be all you need to get a good charge.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Re: oil splashed out air filter/pre cleaner

Post by leeroy »

Sandy I can't say for sure if it was in 4th or reverse!
Still getting used to shift pattern and some of the other tractors have 4th where reverse is on Hyacinth the Major.
I'll check on fuel pump and brushes for generator.
When it came into our possession the two wires were cut off on back of generator/Dynamo.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.