non genuine parts

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
ANDY T
Not Quite Blue Yet

non genuine parts

Post by ANDY T »

Hi there, just joined the forum I'm Andy and I live in Yorkshire. Having just bought a Super Major I'm changing colour from red MF/DB the tractor I've bought is all complete not a bad running engine just needs oil seals, tyres, paint and general tidying up. The worst part about it is front axle the steering arms have been whelded to the spindle/kingpin shaft. I've had some bad experiences with after market parts in the past. New spindle shafts seem to range from £50 to £100 are some better than others or are they all made in China? I can see me buying new shaft, new steering arm, new bearings and nothing fits together, to slack or too tight.Has anybody had any experience with these good or bad?
Cheers AndyT

Timeee
True Blue

Re: non genuine parts

Post by Timeee »

Dear Andy T

Parts from the "land of nearly right" that claim to fit a named tractor, sadly, fail to meet expectations. You tend to build up a list of suppliers who can provide parts of a decent quality and avoid those that always claim the "We have sold 84 of these and no-one has complained", when it is apparent to you that shaft "A" they have just sent you, will not fit into the hole that it should do on your tractor.
I have found Emmark UK Ltd, Pudsey, Leeds, to be pretty good in terms of quality and customer service. They don't "do" everything for a Major, but the bits that they do are mainly excellent. I have found their replacement steering spindles and spindle repair kits to be fine. I don't know whether they do the steering arms.

Regards

Tim E

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I bought my king pins years ago from Old20. Still steering with them.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

I got my king pins from Agriline in 2013 and the result is described in

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3477

Short: They were not perfectly aligned to the steering arms.

Peter
1963 Super Major

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

There are probably not more than one or two manufacturers of spindles and steering components these days, the quantities involved will not make it economical for manufacturers to produce them. Consequentially components supplied by different suppliers will have come from the same manufacturer.

Recently I needed a new silencer for my New Holland (Ford) 7740. I looked on the Agriline website and there was a picture of the silencer with "Agriline" across the background, I noted the scratches and marks in the paintwork on the photograph. Then I looked on Malpas Online website, Malpas Tractors are New Holland agents, there was a picture of the silencer as a "Gold Value" New Holland part with markings in the paintwork, the picture was identical to the Agriline picture! Then I looked in the Sparex catalogue (Gold Value parts are Sparex), the picture and markings were identical to Agriline and Malpas Online! Then I looked on EBay, there was a picture of the silencer with "QTP" across the background, the photograph was identical to all the others!

In the end I bought from Agriline at a price nearly half that of Malpas Online. I am sure I would have got a silencer produced by the same manufacturer from any of the sources.

It would be nice to know if there WAS a manufacturer who produces better quality items for the old tractors than others, and also who sells them!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

henk

Post by henk »

@Peter2, had the same problem.

@Shepp, I agree with you.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I