steering column

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
ANDY T
Not Quite Blue Yet

steering column

Post by ANDY T »

Hi there, I'm looking for a steering column bush the one at top of the column underneath the steering wheel. None of the parts suppliers seem to do it.
Local bearing shop couldn't come up with one has anybody any ideas
Cheers Andy

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: steering column

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you know someone with the skills needed you could ask him to make one. What does your bush look like? Pics would help see what's happened. Bear in mind you can't grease it with a grease gun.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

It's a thin bush that can be made on a lathe. It should be made from brons.
Mine has a grease niple. The bush should have a grease grove in the length with a hole corresponding with th greas niple.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

ANDY T
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ANDY T »

Hi there, as Henk as already stated the bush is very thin walled. Outside diameter is 1inch don't know what inside diameter should be from new as it's very worn. Took my new steering shaft, which was made by a partially sighted chap some where in the Far East, to my local bearing shop he recons the finished turned part on the shaft where the bearing goes isn't finished to a nominal standard, slightly under or over sized. I'll get a new 1 inch bush with over sized inside diameter and ream it to suit the shaft
Cheers Andy