Lorry rescue

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Lorry rescue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Just a few minutes ago, Billy rescued a lorry like this
that got stuck on this 1 in 6 slope.
For anyone to know, if you get a similar lorry stuck your Major will rescue it with virtually no effort at all!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Lorry rescue

Post by oehrick »

Nice work Sandy (and Billy) No lorries this year but mine has taken a couple of bogged cars from a point in an unsurfaced lane by us try to reverse off to turn round without realising what a quagmire it is :)

After the gales we had at different times 3 large oak limbs off 3 large oaks obstructing the lane, a long chain on them thrown into the owners field soon had them back but left some chewed wheelings.

I remain surprised at how people with no apparent farming history often stop to look at, talk about or even photograph the old girl.

A slightly upmarket photoshoot took place when I had a rear wheel bearing going in the car, the donor car had a different pattern so I needed a press to fit the replacement, asked an old pal who has a veteran and vintage car repair business in the next village - fine if I came after his chaps had left - much amusement when I arrived on the Major with the bits in the back box I had to park between a 30's Lagonda and a 40's Alvis for photo's. He was working on something near the press so the time taken was spent bickering as to if it improved or spoiled the gravitas of his forecourt :)

Merry, if probably unusual Xmas to you and yours
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Does the second picture show the tow rope connected to the top link holes, which are above the rear axle. Surely likely to cause the tractor to rear up and overturn. Used to be a total No, No, in my tractoring days.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The second picture is old and it's only a Land-Rover in toe, and I agree that some day that arrangement would cause a rear up, this time we had it on the arms fully down, but if we'd had trouble we would have done it backwards with the cultivator on (to improve the grip without risking anything).
Happy Xmas to everyone.
Sandy
ImageImageImage