Super Major Pump Timing

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

And the number on the pump SPE something?

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Is there a number SPE 4A 75 on the pump?

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

Here ya go.

Regards Chris
Stay True Keep Blue!

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Thanks for the pictures. I wonder if it is possible that three of the pump units are all in upper position at the same time or are some of them stuck? Look if all the springs are moving up and down when turning the engine. And if You pull and push the stop knob the governor should move back and forth.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I think you are getting too much information that is confusing.

Valves 7 and 8 should be on the rock when number 1 comes up to fire. Then the clamp bolt should be below the aux.drive shaft.

The timing marks line up on both No1 and No4 so that is why you can get setup 180 degrees out.

Get the bolt below the shaft and on 23 degrees. Undo the pump bolts and the injector pipes, slide the pump back and turn it until the pump marks line up.

Re assemble the pump and I will bet she will start right up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

Brian wrote: Re assemble the pump and I will bet she will start right up.
As normal Brian is right lol, she fired up like a beauty.

Sorry to of waisted everyones time!!!!

But the oil light is staying on :cry: is there anything i can check to make sure that she has oil pressure?

I have drained all of the oil out and fitted a new oil filter and new oil.

when i got her none of the bulbs worked so i got a new wiring loom and new clocks.

Is there a way of testing the oil pressure switch?
Regards Chris
Stay True Keep Blue!

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Yes and if you dont have an ohmmeter you can test the switch with a bulb. Put a wire to the negative pole of the battery (if still positive ground) and the other end to the bulb and the other wire from the bulb to the oilpressure switch after you disconnect the original wire from the switch. Now the bulb will lit if the switch is ok and the engine is not running. When you then start the engine the lamp goes off but it can take a while after an oilchange, 10-20 sec. I usually fill the oilfilter bowl with oil when putting it back with the new filter and then the oilpressure is comming faster but it is not nessesary to do so.

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

The oil light has gone out now, but it has blown the olive of the end of the diesel line on number 4 next to the injector.

Is there any reason that this could of happened or is it just one of those things?
p.s. she is running on 4 cylinders
Regards Chris
Stay True Keep Blue!

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Sorry to of waisted everyones time!!!!
You didn't waste anyone's time. This is what we do for fun! I thought the coupler was your problem from the beginning. I should have just posted a picture of the coupler. They say a picture is worth 1000 words!

The ferrule on the injector line could have broken from years of vibration or you could have twisted it when you tightened the line. There's a short pipe that goes from the injector through the grommet in the head. You should hold that with another wrench to keep it from turning while you tighten the nut on the injector line. I guess we should have mentioned that sooner. Sorry. Your local diesel injection shop should be able to fix that one or make you a new one.

I'm glad the old girl is running again, anyway.

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

JC wrote:Your local diesel injection shop should be able to fix that one or make you a new one.
I have found a company in Lowestoft which is about 5 miles away from me, which do diesel stuff called Anglian Diesel Injection Service. So hopefully they will help me sort it out tommorow.

Thanks JC.
Everyone has been great NICE ONE :thumbs:
Regards Chris
Stay True Keep Blue!

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Chris,
It has been "fun" for us and "hell" for you. :beer:
You've finally revealed what part of the world your from for anyone who is prepared to do a search for Lowestoft!

Can I advise one thing?? To yourself and others? Why not include your approx location in your Profile? It makes it much easier for others when offering advice and you could be surprised that there might be someone almost next door to you that can help out. No one should fear any prejudice by their location in these forums. With the exception of maybe those New Zealanders (and displaced Kiwis) ..... says me in the traditional Aussie/Kiwi rivalry sarcastically ... :rofl: :buddies:
'
Regards,
Rick

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Rick
says me in the traditional Aussie/Kiwi rivalry sarcastically ...
Bring it on Aussie Rick :thumbs:

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

skateboss
True Blue

Post by skateboss »

I am so glad that you guys put this site together.

You will be seeing a lot more of me as i feel like being a part of this tractory community lol.

anyway i went to the diesel shop and he made me a new pipe which stung me yet another £20 but she is purring like a kitten now with barely any smoke apart from being under load when revving her up. YEAH.

So my next question is am I the youngest tractor restorer here????
I was 26 on Saturday. OOOH im getting old :(

Oh and im getting used to having it ripped out of me at work for restoring tractors lol.
Regards Chris
Stay True Keep Blue!

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

skateboss wrote: So my next question is am I the youngest tractor restorer here????
So both of us celebrated on saturday then. :lol: You have to speed up to get me. I turned 50 but I am not feeling old any moore, I did when i turn 14 so it has nothing to do with the age. :wink:

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

skateboss wrote:You will be seeing a lot more of me as i feel like being a part of this tractory community lol.
Glad you feel that way. Everyone needs to feel they belong ....... somewhere! ;)
skateboss wrote:So my next question is am I the youngest tractor restorer here????
You poor old thing! Imagine reversing those digits about. Those of us in that circumstance still believe we are young!!!
We don't know ages here unless told so I can only comment on a couple. Firstly Ben 26 maybe marginally older. He does lots of restorations and has a website. But you are not the youngest. I offer you this thread to read to inspire you and not to deflate you. OK? This person Joris purports to be younger but we haven't heard very much from him unfortunately.
Prepare yourself now:::::
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... ight=#1690

Many happy returns to both you and to Grani :beer:
'
Regards,
Rick