PTO shaft removal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

PTO shaft removal

Post by hazzard »

I'm in the latter stages of fitting a live drive gearbox to my Super Major but can't get the PTO shaft out of the rear axle to remove the old box. Does anyone have any suggestions based on experience please as to how to proceed?
Many thanks.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: PTO shaft removal

Post by Billy26F5 »

It should be straight forward to remove, do you have raised PTO? If so it's slightly more complicated, but not much. If you've tried to lower the PTO casting under the gearbox first it will be difficult to remove; lift it back on and remove the shaft, then lower the casting.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Hi Sandy,
The pto gearbox is still attached. Might it be that the seal/bearing at the output end is stuck tight to the main gearbox? If so I guess some brute force with a chisel/punch is all that's needed ?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Undoing the 4 bolts at the rear of the tractor is all you need to do to pull out the shaft.
and of course don't forget to drain the oil first!
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Thanks Mathias1, I thought that's what I had to do but the bearing is very firmly stuck on the back end despite removing bolts. Big hammer I think !!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

hazzard wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:37 pm
Thanks Mathias1, I thought that's what I had to do but the bearing is very firmly stuck on the back end despite removing bolts. Big hammer I think !!
Yes, and if that doesn't work, your hammer wasn't big enough :lol:
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

If you have an old pto uj to hand, slot it on and lock it in place, then you can put a rope or strap through the uj and get as straight line pull on it either by hand or more mechanical means.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

It can only be either the PTO bearing and seal housing that is stuck in the rear axle case, or the PTO extension tube that is stuck on the splined output shaft of the PTO auxiliary gearbox under the main gearbox.

With the 4 bolts removed from the bearing and seal housing use a soft hammer such as a copper headed hammer to carefully tap the square PTO bearing and seal housing so as to rotate it in the rear axle case. If it starts to move use some penetrating oil around the gap that has opened up between the housing and rear axle case, keep tapping it round and round and it should free and withdraw.

If the housing is free in the rear axle but the assembly will still not withdraw then the extension tube must be stuck on the PTO gearbox output shaft - very unusual and slightly worrying as it suggests a twist in one or other or both of those components. Use a spare quick release coupling onto the PTO shaft and either a slide hammer if you have one or other means of tapping the coupling rearwards so as to try and free the extension tube off the PTO gearbox output shaft.

Let us know how you go on.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Well I started out gently with a soft headed mallet and ended up using a lump hammer and a 1" d shaft as a punch and eventually it gave up and moved enough so that I could get a slim chisel behind the casting, so all is well thanks. I hope it all goes back together when the 'new' gearbox goes in in a a couple of days.
Thanks for all your advice :D

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Well at least that's better than having it stuck at the PTO gearbox end!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.