Engine front plate gasket

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John b
True Blue

Engine front plate gasket

Post by John b »

Help! I need to fit the E28-CN-Y gasket to my engine, is this the one with or without the slot to the cam? The kit came with both types of gasket but i don't know which is which, i think it's the sloted one but need to be sure!
Cheers John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

John b
True Blue

Re: Engine front plate gasket

Post by John b »

Just looked at it again and it's the 3 bolt camshaft with a 2 piece thrust washer, and as it's held in place with the front plate i assume it's the gasket without the slot that i need to fit
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Measure the diameter of the camshaft hole, it's either 2.58" or 2", the larger diameter is for the three bolt camshaft, yours is the original kind. The gasket should be clear of the camshaft and thrust washers, if you still have your original gasket try matching it to that. Do you have dowels for the front mounting plate? If not the holes in that area will be similar to the bolt holes; if you do have dowels you will need the gasket with big holes (1/2" diameter) for the dowels. Some pics would be nice!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Sandy, thanks for the reply. I would put some pics up but i've no idea how, i'm not good with modern technology! The od of the thrust washer is 2.75" and neither gasket clears the thrust washers. The gasket with the slot doesnt have a round hole over the cam, its egg shaped so only covers a part of the thrust washer. The front cam journal is 2.05" and the engine has 2 dowels. Sorry i cant add any pics but like i said i'm bloody useless with computers! I havent got the original gasket as a 'helpful' friend decided to scrape it off when i was out. Hope you can make some sense of that lot!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

This page tells you what to do for the pics:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024
Sandy
ImageImageImage