Starter Motor Problems

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Starter Motor Problems

Post by JMD168 »

Fitted a new front crank shaft Oil seal and timing cover seal, built it all back up again, tried starting the engine, not much happening, struggling to turn it over. Checked the relay after cranking it a few minutes, I could just hear it clicking, put the volt meter on, it's burnt out. Cable to the starter motor was quite warm so it must have been getting plenty of power, better take the starter motor off. Dismantled it only to discover a lot of rust, no doubt for many years water has been getting inside to such an extent one of the springs that push the carbon brush onto the commutator had rusted away. That's why it it struggles to turn the engine over only three brushes in contact, so my question is does any one know where I can get another of those little springs from ? Any suggestions would be most welcome, please reply here or call me on 07984127060, thank you.

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Starter Motor Problems

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Assuming it’s for your super:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1358619718

Try this, or this:

https://www.charnleys.com/part/leyland_ ... -kit-lucas

Regards emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Thanks for that Emiel, it looks just the job, hope to be running late next week.
John

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Ordered and received a couple of small springs that push the brushes onto the commutator. Fiddled around for over an hour trying to get the springs onto the brushes without pushing the brushes down the slot. Finally released the springs, with my hand inside the stator pushed the brushes well out of the way, fitted the rotor up to the brushes, then using small cable ties looped around the springs pulled them up, putting a small allen key through the cable tie loop, with the springs kept up under load and the brushes held up out of the way I slid the rotor home into the bearing, cutting the cable ties allowing the springs to push the brushes down onto the commutator, job done. Once I had come up with the idea of using small cable ties to lift and hold the springs clear allowing the brushes to be pushed well up the slots it only took 5 mins. Any one having difficulty with this job try using the cable tie method.

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

The big question, does the starter work now? Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Hello Dave, yes it does, it turns it over nicely and starts straight away. The band that wraps around to cover the port openings was in reasonable condition but the inner seal had disintegrated, I noticed an old cycle inner tube on one of my shelves, thought that will do nicely, cut a section out and fitted it around the starter motor then fitted the clamp, that should keep out the occasional shower.