Steering linkage overhaul

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering linkage overhaul

Post by JMD168 »

I thought it was time to refurbish the steering linkages on my Super Major, as driving with such front wheel wobble could be dangerous, I've not got far, took the castellated nut off the drop arm from the steering box, the ball pin doesn't want to come out even with lots of hammer blows, I will buy a fork wedge drift tomorrow hopefully that will release it. The connecting tube that runs parallel with the front axle has a fork fitting at each end with a hard pin through into the steering arms, after lots of hammering with a lump hammer I've managed to move one up about 1/4" on the near side but on the off side I've only managed to crack the paint! Many people on this site must have replaced them at some time so my question is how the hell is it done? One pin is free in the bush but solid in the forks the other is sloppy in the forks but solid in the bush! Any suggestion how to remove these pins or tools I should buy would be most welcome.
A very frustrated
John Dyson

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Steering linkage overhaul

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

A little heat from the propane torch?

Rgds emiel.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The pin that is loose in the tie rod is bad news, as both the pin and the tie rod end must be replaced. As for the other one that's as it should be, a press fit in the tie rod end. I also think you'll be replacing both bushes, the one that has stuck could mean that its spindle arm will need a custom made bush fitted as the wear will allow a std. new one straight through. As for the drag link the tapper fittings are very difficult to shift, so you'll just need to keep at it. Remember that the springs are not both between the arms, one of them is, and the other one sits outside just behind the adjusting screw cap, make sure these are adjusted to have no play but not that tight.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Got the near side pin out with plenty of heat from a blow torch, it was free in the forks but solid in the steering arm bush, but the off side was a different story it was free in the bush and solid in the forks no amount of heat and hammering would move it more than 1/4" I tried a large G clamp with a spacer on top and the G clamp pad under the bottom of the pin plus plenty of heat from the blow torch. It wasn't moving, no matter what I did, in the end I cut it through with a slitting grinding wheel, took less than 5 mins to separate it all. Ordered a pair of second hand ones from Ron Green, hope the holes aren't worn badly, I would have thought Agriline or similar would have some new ones, they must wear out like mine did. When I get all the bits back together the steering box may be the next thing to look at as there is a bit of movement at the end of the arm without the steering wheel moving, only what you expect after 60 years

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Agriline used to have them, what they don't have is tie rod ends, however, I think BareCo do have them. You'll have to watch the bits you heated very carefully, as they could have lost their heat treatment and not hold well.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Steering linkage update, ordered and received a couple of tie rod ends from Ron Green, in one, the the holes were well worn the other worn a little, also ordered new bushes and pins. I would say it is virtually impossible to extract a tie rod end from the drag link after 60 years with out damaging the tube, I had to cut into the drag link with a slitting grinder to extract mine. So I had one tie rod with tight fit holes (original) for the new pins and one tie rod end with slight worn holes from Ron Green. Ordered a new length of 1" bore steel tube from Metals4U, unfortunately the tie rods were a little easy in the tube, so I had some weld laid on the tie rods and ground back so they were a tight fit in the new tube. To ensure no movement I cross drilled holes 8mm straight through the tube and tie rod and fitted high tensile socket cap screws. To get the old bushes out I cut through with a hacksaw which made them easy to remove, pressed in the new bushes. Pressed in the new pins in the tight end of the tie rod but in the other end I drilled and tapped a couple of 5mm holes to take grub screws, pushed the new pin in which was an easy fit then tightened up the grub screws to lock the pin in place so it rotated in the bush and not in the fork. Took all the play out of the long linkage that connects the drop arm to the steering arm. Pumped plenty of grease in all the moving parts and took it for a test drive. Steering and wheel wobble were much improved but there is plenty of slop in the steering box which will no doubt require a complete refurbish, a job for another day.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You might want to do the spindles as well, being aware that you don't need to dismantle the tie rod again in order to do them.
Sandy
ImageImageImage