Gearbox breather bolt

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

Gearbox breather bolt

Post by hazzard »

Re the breather bolt, I've just fitted a live drive box, new oil and seals etc and find that there is oil seeping from the steering box/gearbox joint when it gets warm and on reading this I am assuming that it is being forced out by pressure because there is either no breather bolt or it's blocked.
Having got everything back together and working am reluctant to take it all down again.
Can someone please tell me if these bolts are available as a spare part and what the thing looks like, and is it possible to fabricate one ?
Thanks in advance,

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Gearbox breather bolt

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Breather bolt is just one with a very small hole. Think in the new major it is fitted where the high low lever is bolted to the trans. On the old e27n it was a dash bolt.

Just take one bolt out. Drill from bottom to had a small hole, 2 mm or 3. Dril to half way in the head. And drill from the outside from a flat on the hex head a hole to center of head. a very smal hole, 1mm if you can to to tje vertical one.

First find out whether you haven’t sealed a vented bolt with paint.

Rgds
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The original breather bolt is here,
it has a longer head than normal.
They almost always get blocked, remove it and clean it, keeping it clean is the only way to avoid it getting blocked. If it's not there do it as Emiel says.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Thanks Emiel and Sandy, I can't find the bolt so have removed one and will get it drilled tomorrow.
Always something with a Major ...!!