Power Steering Ram, Clutch Housing Grease

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
OhNoJoe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Steering Ram, Clutch Housing Grease

Post by OhNoJoe »

So, I got my 64 Super Major a few weeks ago and ran it a little bit then put it in the car port. I don’t think it’s wise to run it before I change the fluids and filters but I did fish out the old grease gun and hit all the zerks I could find. The manual I had didn’t have a listing of the zerks but the one I got in the mail does have a diagram. So, I’ll be doing a triple re-check to make sure I haven’t missed any. I did come across a couple of issues that I would like to make sure I get some feedback on before I proceed. 1) On the power steering ram there are 2 zerks; one is on the very front of the cylinder and the other one is further back on the top. 2) There is a zerk in the housing where the clutch pedal/rod assembly enters the housing. I’ll try to get some pictures linked below. My concerns are that when I was greasing the zerk on the front of the cylinder I gave it 5 or 6 pumps there was no increased pressure. I looked around to see if there was any grease being expelled or pushed out somewhere by the zerk. Seeing no grease pushing out anywhere I gave it a few more pumps and still no visible grease being pushed out. I figured that either the old crusty grease was so hard that no new grease was able to push the old out of the way or the machine and no grease in the bearing. I figured I would move on to the other zerk and maybe the first one to show some grease after some time. While greasing the second zerk, again 5 or 6 pumps there was no sign of any old grease being displaced. Given that I wasn’t sure exactly how much grease these almost 60-year-old cylinders take I figured I would stop until I could find some better information. Additionally, I don’t want to push grease passed that backing plates, and mix grease and hydraulic fluids. I moved on to the zerk for the clutch, while cleaning the zerk off, I had the same thought so I looked at the manual I had. That old manual 1958? Described grease in a cup and turning the lid down ¼ turn. The more recent manual doesn’t show I zerk in the housing. So here I am; asking if anyone could share some insights.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Power Steering Ram, Clutch Housing Grease

Post by Billy26F5 »

Do you have a 13" clutch? if so you'll have a screw cap greaser just below the cross shaft on the raised portion on the RH side (note there isn't a 13" clutch here).
Otherwise pump grease in until it comes out. if the nipple doesn't accept grease, it will try to force the gun off and ouse out between the gun and nipple or pressurise till you can't even pump; if neither of those happen check your grease gun is pumping grease and keep filling the points until the grease comes out. Check round the front axle, steering, clutch and pedal cross shafts, hydraulic linkage and half shaft castings for nipples; make sure they all get plenty of grease.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

OhNoJoe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OhNoJoe »

Thanks, I'll take a closer look. In one of the manuals I brought there is a foldout listing the grease fittings and filters. I'm going to take that to the copy place and get a copy and maybe get it laminated so I can clip it over by where I store my grease gun.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

check your grease pump. if nothing comes out and you don't feel pressure, it's not working properly.
The grease on the power steering is for the ball joints.

The grease nipple for the 13" clutch release bearing is onthe RH. The nipple is connected with a flexible pipe to the release bearing.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The release bearing greaser is a screw cap greaser, to avoid excess greasing. There are some nipples for the cross shaft either side.
Sandy
ImageImageImage