Crack in Axle Bracket

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Crack in Axle Bracket

Post by JLworld »

Hi,

I am currently restoring a 1959 power major. After removing the wheels I have noticed that there is a large crack in the casting where the fender bolts go.

I have thought about welding... would I be able to weld this casting?

Or is it best just to fill it with epoxy sand and paint?

How critical is this bracket to the rear linkage.

Thanks for any help.

Will

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Crack in Axle Bracket

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could we see a pic of it? Billy has a bit that's come off like this (well before we had him)
but he seems to be fine on that note. You might want to use heavy duty check chain brackets (four mounting holes instead of three), as they're going to hold better (Billy has them, sort of visible here)
Is your Power Major later than 1524079? If so and you have dual position lower link brackets, your brackets will need two holes.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

Hi thanks for the reply I am struggling to upload the photo from my phone. I will try on my computer this evening.

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

Whilst I try and do that my serial number starts with 1514

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

This means you will need the same bracket as Billy, part nos. E1ADKN-995179B and E1ADKN-995180B. As for pics see this.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

Thanks for all your help. I have now managed to send the photos. I think I could get it welded up maybe? To preserve it from coming off in the future?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think so, but remove the check chain bracket and mudguard bolt in order to do it. I do recommend you fit heavy duty brackets.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

Thanks Sandy

It sounds like a good idea to find the heavy duty check chain brackets. Is the best place to look eBay over time and wait for them to come up or have you heard of any pattern companies doing them?

Thanks again

Will

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Had exactly this once on a new major. What indid is rotate the axle 180 degrees. So the broken lug moved from rear bottom to top front.

Was an easy Job to do and looks decent.

Regards emiel.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your best bet is eBay, you could also do what Emiel says, but that's a much bigger job. It depends heavily on whether you'll be doing very heavy jobs or not. If you're not I wouldn't bother turning it over, as it's a pretty big job (especially if you're desperate to do something with your Power Major).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Emiel wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:06 am
Hi,

Had exactly this once on a new major. What indid is rotate the axle 180 degrees. So the broken lug moved from rear bottom to top front.

Regards emiel.

Now that’s my sort of repair!
How about a steel strap of some sort, below the bracket, linking the two mudguard bolts? That would support the damaged part, and avoid any need for welding (a dodgy business with castings)

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

We have super major check chain brackets available which use 4x mounting bolts compared to the diesel/power major type using 3. Drop me a message if interested. Regards, Ed

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The heavy duty Major brackets will also do (They also have 4 mounting holes) and look better as the Super Major brackets are larger to accommodate the dual hole shackle used with the dual category linkage. The heavy duty Major brackets won't be able to use Super Major shackles.
Sandy
ImageImageImage